Can I still use my hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnishiSG

Solid State Member
I've had my laptop for around three years.

I'm dual-booting Windows XP and Ubuntu, so my hard drive is split into different partitions.

A few weeks ago, Windows performance became extremely slow, and even immediately after booting up, things were laggy. Ubuntu was running smoothly.

After that, my laptop began to just "click" off periodically (when using Windows), regardless of what I was doing.

Eventually, I was not able to start up Windows. It gave me a blue screen of death, if you will. I don't remember the error message, but it basically told me to check my hardware and settings, etc.

For some reason, Ubuntu still worked fine (and still does). Is this because it's on a separate partition?

I can access all the files on my Windows partition through Ubuntu. I just can't use Windows itself.

I'm going to back up all of my files to an external hard drive, but what should I do after that?

I could delete the Windows partition and only use Ubuntu. Or, I could try to reinstall Windows. Or is my hard drive just not safe to use?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would do the back up and reformat the partition that windows was on. You can run a scandisk on the drive and see what you find. But I would try to reinstall windows. If Ubuntu is running good it would be worth a try because it could just be corrupt windows system files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom