Can I replace a PCIE port? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Old 06-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Can I replace a PCIE port?

My GPU stopped working randomly, I got a replacement and that doesn't work either so I have concluded that it is PCIE x16 port. Can I replace the port or will I have to just get a replacement motherboard?

Jayteescout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Can I replace a PCIE port?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to replace the PCIe slot by itself. if you confirm that this is the faulty part, you will need to replace the entire motherboard.
before you are running to do so and probably buying a new computer in the process, double check that its the PCI-e slot. first, check the motherboard website/manual to make sure that the video card is supported by the motherboard and by the power supply as well. it might be insufficient resource to support that card. second, some more powerful video cards require additional power pins usually 6 or 8 aux power. perhaps you have not plugged these. last think Id do is try and find another computer that supports these cards 100% and try it on that to see if its working on another computer.
after all these, you can safely determine the issue.

yurayurayur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Default Re: Can I replace a PCIE port?

Technically you can, but that would just be the actual lot, which most likely won't fix the problem.

I would contact your mobo support people and they may have a solution, through RMA, replacement program or repair program.
Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz Gigabyte x58a-ud3r EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 3x2gb OCZ Gold Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline   Reply With Quote