Can I install..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parky-RFC

Baseband Member
a SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.10 320GB HDD 7200rpm on to a Dell Dimension 4600?

Hard Drive: Amazon.co.uk: SEAGATE Barracuda7200.10 320GB HDD 7200rpm parallel ATA PATA 16MB cache 3,5Zoll: Electronics & Photo: SEAGATE

Here are the specifications of my computer:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.8GHz

L2 cache: 512KB

Memory: 512MB

Mainboard: Dell Computer Corp. 0F4491

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: I'm hoping to switch my original drive with the new 320GB. My orignal is 80GB. So I want to make my original drive the 'slave drive' and the new one the 'master drive'.

Is this possible? And should I come across any problems?

Thanks in advance, Parky.

Yes it'll work.
As for a new configuration, the fastest is to install winxp on the new drive and copy the files over. you could also use norton ghost

Yes it'll work.
As for a new configuration, the fastest is to install winxp on the new drive and copy the files over. you could also use norton ghost

Hmm. Thanks for the reply mate, appreciated.

It's just my mate tried to install it for me but he said my computer wasn't powerful enough to run both drives??

So is that not an issue?

Your friend is most likely wrong. What you want to make sure of is that you have a extra 4-pin Molex connecter and a PATA(long and flat) cable for the hard drive to connect to the motherboard if you don't already have a free PATA slot.
Molex:
molexwi3.jpg

PATA:
pataconnectorudmahostlj7.jpg

I highly doubt your PSU can't handle an extra drive. What does the computer do when it turns on?

I honestly don't what the problem is, he installed Windows on the other drive and I can get on the internet but when he re-boots the computer, a black screen comes up saying ''Unknown Drive''.

I'll explain what exactly I'm wanting.

I want to start fresh by setting my new 320GB hard drive as the primary boot device and install the operating system on it. So then I'd then have my 80GB hard drive to back-up all my files.

How difficult is this? My knowledge of this sort of stuff isn't great but if I could get a step by step guide perhaps I could give it ago myself!

Thanks for all the replies guys, appreciated. I'll tell him he's talking rubbish!

jumper and/or bios setting problem
installing windows on a new drive isnt that hard

I seen him messing around with a jumper ect ect.

He installed Windows, everything is running fine with that.

I do believe your correct with the jumper or bios problem, he kept messing about pushing buttons..

I will phone tomorrow and ask him what the problem is because obviously ''your computer isn't powerful enough to run both drives'' is nonsense, I'll then post what he said on here and hopefully I can get a solution.

Ok, I've done this before (exact same sized drives too xD, except I was going from IDE to SATA). Get a Norton Ghost 2004 Boot Disc (I can link you if you want). I tried with Norton Ghost 9..and the '04 boot disc is waay easier. So do this: put the boot disc on a floppy, or burn it as a bootable disc. Whatever's easier for you. Make sure the new drive is formatted. Now, make sure both drives are plugged in, and make the new drive the Master, and the old the Slave (by using the jumpers). Now, boot from the disc, and then go to Local > Disk to Disk. Make sure you copy from the old drive to the new drive (you'll have to look at the sizes of the drives, and not the drive names). This will copy ALL the information from the old drive to the new drive, including any partitions the old drive had. It took me about an hour for the process to complete, seeing as the 80gb drive I had wasn't completely filled. After it's done, shut down, un-plug the old drive, and boot from the new drive. Windows should say it's recognized a new device (the new HDD) and it will probably ask you to restart. Do that. Now after it restarts, just go through your programs/make sure everything works. Just keep your old drive unplugged, and just keep booting from your new drive for a while. After you've confirmed it's working properly, you can format your old drive by (make sure it's plugged in, first, lol): right click on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management > find your old drive (you'll be able to tell this by looking at the size) > right click > format drive.

Like I said, I did this, and have an OEM copy of windows, and it's still working great =).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom