Can a DVD+R disk be "converted" to a DVD-R disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnselk

Baseband Member
I have what may be the stupidest question of the year or century, but I'd like to find out so here goes.

I have a DVD+R video disk that I want to play in my TV surround sound system DVD player. The TV's DVD "player" will only play DVD-R formated DVD's according to the manufacturer. It's an older system. These days I think you can buy players that will play all formats.

So, my DVD+R disk won't play at all in my player. It will play on my computer using my Lite-On DVD RW but not in my player that's hooked to my large screen TV.

So, my question is this: Is there any way to "convert" a DVD+R formated disk to a DVD-R disk?

Could I download the contents of the DVD+R disk to my computer's hard drive then turn around and burn it in DVD-R format using my lite-on dvd burner? I don't even know if my Lite-On DVD RW SHW-160P6S burner will allow me to burn it in the DVD-R format.

I don't know if anything like this is possible but I wanted to ask you guys because I know if anyone knows, you do.

Thank you, I appreciate your comments (good and bad).

You say "video disk" does that mean a Copyrighted Movie Release?

It all depends on the protection on the DVD for how hard it will be to rewrite the data.

typo

Alex, it's a new DVD+R disk that contains video and audio. It's not a movie DVD, it's an instructional video.

I did not ask my friend what his source was. I suppose he could have made the DVD+R from a VHS tape because the quality (when played on my computer) is not that good. Or he could have copied another disk. I don't really know.

But, I'll ask him what he used to make the "DVD+R" disk so I can do my part in helping get an answer to my question. Thanks for your help.

I appreciate everyone taking time to help me with this issue.

turtile said:
You can't convert it but you can reburn it on a DVD-R.

Are you saying I should capture the video to my hard drive then burn it to a DVD-R disk?

Thank you, that's the kind of response a peron like me needs; a simple step by step answer.

Too many people assume that everyone knows at least a little bit about the problem they're asking about.....this is not always true.

Many of us (especially me) are total first graders when it comes to discussing and understanding certain new computer tasks.

But on sites like this, we can ask and hopefully learn from the experts. Thank you for the help!

I just finished "burning a copy" of the DVD+R that would not play in my TV's surround sound DVD player.

I used the Nero software that was installed on my computer but had never been used. I selected "Copy DVD" and followed instructions....and to my delight, it worked!

However, the finished product did contain several artifact, however they don't take away much from the video. They are mostly noticeable in the sound; leaving out a word/partial word here and there....no big deal. Wonder what caused this?

The completed product is a DVD-R disk copied directly from a DVD+R disk (without first downloading it to my hard drive)....and more importantly, it works in my TV's surround sound DVD player.

Thanks to all. If you would like to comment on the artifact issue please do so. If there's a way to make the DVD better I'd like to hear about it. That's what it's all about....learning to "do it right".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom