Can this be done? (4pin 12v PSU on 8pin 12v Motherboard)

Scenarios tried:

Two different 4pins (separately, not together), it booted maybe 3/4 the times tried.

Saw my PSU has 4+4 pins to make up the 8pin, so I tried each 4 pin separately and it booted half the time, other half it just hangs like normal with no beeps and the cpu fan just spins but slower than usual (kinda wobble effect I guess).

Tried my 1 half of my 8pin on another machine and it booted up in a single try.

So came to my conclusion it's my board or I'm leaving out other possibilities?

Mind you all these tests were tested naked (nothing connected except PSU) and fully connected, same 50/50 boot on my system but 100 boot on others.

Sorry, the last post confused me... So your psu DOES have an 8 pin... Bah... Despite reading your bild post I never actually looked at the psu? <--- Exact reason why more than 1 responder is needed, It shoulda been found back in thread 1 of your problem.

You can't use the "other half" of the 4+4, Its not wired correctly I believe.

You also now tried the psu in another mobo, and it booted right up?

I'm with Joe, Try another psu in your system. PLUS reseat the cpu. It may have bent pins, goo in the pins etc.

This is starting to look like NOT a psu issue.

Sorry, the last post confused me... So your psu DOES have an 8 pin... Bah... Despite reading your bild post I never actually looked at the psu? <--- Exact reason why more than 1 responder is needed, It shoulda been found back in thread 1 of your problem.

You can't use the "other half" of the 4+4, Its not wired correctly I believe.

You also now tried the psu in another mobo, and it booted right up?

I'm with Joe, Try another psu in your system. PLUS reseat the cpu. It may have bent pins, goo in the pins etc.

This is starting to look like NOT a psu issue.
Yeah it does have 8 Pins total...looks like the pic below.

eps4plus4.jpg

I'm not totally sure on the wiring but from the looks of it both look the same :umm:. In the previous scenario, 3 PSUs were used. Mine and 2 others from a friend. ALL PSUs booted the other PC (tried a PC from my friend) which was a 4pin loadout.

Tried ALL PSUs on mine, with my PSU I got a 50/50 boot, with the other 2 PSUs (4pin loadouts) I got 3/4 boot ups from all tries total.

Yha, I looked atthe manuf. page and it says 4+4 12V

The wiring is abit different, look at the layout in the manual linked by joe, it is close but backwards i believe.

Your p;su powers other pcs 100% eh?

Back
Top Bottom