Can a bad PSU screw-up HDD's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
Yeah, I'm pretty sure my PSU just plain sucks. It's some piece of crap that came in my 30$ Aspire case.

I can't really re-create the problems. They come, and go. Sometimes my computer will work flawlessly for a week or so, then it will just be gay and not work right for the next few days...and so on.

What's happening: Either BSOD, horrible graphical glitches, and my XP installations seem to be...exploding. I've reformatted more times since I bought this computer than I have in my whole life.

Now, what I mean by XP "exploding"... like, my computer will shut off after it gets down having a gayspasm, and then won't boot XP again. It will either BSOD after the splash screen, or just go blank and restart...endlessly.

Heh, to top that off, I reformatted my 200GB HDD, erasing precious files that will take me quite some time to make/get again. After it reformatted, I was installing drivers and re-started it, and it says "NTLDR (or whatever) IS MISSING, blah blah". I got so ****ed that I punched the HDD (was sitting on my table, out of computer) and it started clicking....wasn't mine, anyway. lol :amazed:

But yeah, anyway... can a faulty/just plain [snipped] PSU cause these problems? Or is it the motherboard/CPU?

I have tried countless RAM configurations, so it's not RAM.. I gaurantee it.

New hardware: ATi x800, but all this gayness was happening before I bought it anyway.

Sooo....what do you guys think? I did some construction this past weekend and I'm getting paid a good amount, so I'm buying an Antec Truepower II (even if it's not the PSU, I need it anyway). Do you guys think it's the PSU or what?

PSU Specs:
Cyberlink
430watt (or so it claims anyway)
+12V(1) 14A, +12V(2) 14A, +3.3V 17A, +5V 25A
Frequency - 60/50Hz

Other specs are in my sig.

No it's not slow, it just screws up. Like, the XP installation gets totally screwed. Won't boot, has errors, etc.

well, can you try a new PSU? or maybe a new HDD? if it were me, i wouldnt try a new hdd without a new psu, incase it breaks a 2nd one.

also, how can a computer be homosexual? ;)

I'm buying a new Antec 550watt this weekend, I just wanted to know what you guys thought the problem was.

It's happened with three HDD's. The HDD still works fine, it's just that XP gets corrupted somehow.

I have one, yes.

My computer is ontop of my table next to my monitor, and my subwoofer is on the bottom and over on the side.

I don't understnad why you think it's actually a psu?
Any, you can just check this yourself. Put your computer do hard work that will consume 100% cpu and ram (some hard game, video encode...), take a voltmeter, and measure all the main lines of your PSU(i.e +5v, +12v, +3.3v....) there should not be droput of more than 5% of initial voltage (i.e not lower than 4.75v on 5v line)
I'm 95% confident it's not PSU.
To isolate and fix your problem:
1) remove/unplug everything from your mobo except for thing absolutely necessary for boot, i.e mobo/ram/cpu/video.
Reset bios settins to default (no overclocking !) and see if problem persists. After that add up your hardware one by one ,and test for problems every time, untill you find a faulty hardware (if there is one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom