Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkmira

Beta member
I don't know if anyone can help but I have a problem. I have windows 98 and I was using this program and it seems to have gotten my computer stuck in a catch 22. I was using -- secrecy file & folder hider 2.1 -- I was putting some files under a lock and I accidentally clicked on the C: directory insted of the file beneath it. Now the hole directory is hidden. My computer will only startup in ms-dos. I got the computer from a friend and when I did I created a "startup disk" from the control panal. That is the only disk for my computer or any programs on it that I have. when I turn on my computer all it says is,

Warning windows has detected a registry/configuraration error, choose command prompt only & run scanreg.

And when I try to do thay it tells me,

Cannot find win.com unable to continue loading windows

So if I try to scanreg/restore or anything else it says,

volume in drive c has no label
volume serial number is xxxx-xxxx
directory of c:\windows
file not found

So basically it's a catch 22. the directory is hidden or locked and I can't get to the program to unlock it. Is there anyway to get to the program or fix this from Dos.

i'm not too experienced with this sort of thing but you should try looking for a standalone (does not require windows) program that can access and recover the information. how does this program lock your files? is it just password locked? you may be able to install the hdd in another pc already running windows and install the program, use the password to access the drive and then remove the lock

all I know is I'm not too fimilar with dos and when I turn on my computer that is all I can access. it also tells me that it can't find the dir c so I can't get into anything in there without unlocking the directory. The way this program works is once your in the program you just hit the unlock icon and it unlocks your hidden files so I need a way to access the program form dos but seeing as how it is located in the dir c I'm stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom