Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanzi

Beta member
hello,

having a little harware problem with my computer. Everything was fine last week, and then my interent got blocked for a few days. after it was working again, i couldn't get my mouse and keyboard working toegther. both are fine. If i restsrt my compouter, and i press the delete key IT WILL go into the bios
at that point. HOwever if the computer then loads up, neither the mouse nor teh keyboard will work. If i restart the computer once i pass the sccreen which checks to see if the keyboard is present, if i unplug it then the mouse works perfectly so i know there's no prob with the mouse. since i can press F1 at the start up screen, i know that there is no problem with my keyboard. But when both are plugged in, neither works when windows loads.
Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Dan

p.s. sorry about the awkwardness of this typing. since my keyboard is not working my brother is typing this on MSN and i am copying/pasting it here

PS2 or USB keyboard/mouse? IF PSU, your mobo ps/2 ports may need to be unistalled and reinstalled form device manager. I'd try that regardless...go to device manager and find the ps/2 mouse and keboard and then delete them and reboot.

thanks for the input.

im afraid i cant find device manager :mad: sorry man, ive heard of it so many times but i cant locate it in the control panel. where do i go?

both my mouse and keyboard are non-USB btw, so i guess ps/2. once i uninstall them will i be OK or do i need their drivers? I dont have them anymore, my computer is quite old.

thanks
Dan

PS: im at another computer right now, but I'm the original poster, Im not quite sure how that 'zanzi' name appeared earlier.

whoops OK found it. OK so when I go home I'll uninstall them, provided that wont create any additional problems? Again, I dont have any drivers.

THanks

ok, similar thing happens to me. i just plugged in a ps/2 mouse, went into bios, and enabled usb mouse and usb keyboard. problem solved.

ok, here is what you do. put a ps/2 mouse and keyboard (2nd newest type of mouse and keyboard) plug it in to the purple and green ports on the back of your computer. turn the computer on, and press the delete button on the bios screen, to enter bios/cmos settup. i dont remember which tab it is under, but somewhere in the hardware settings, enable usb mouse, and usb keyboard. i will go to it and tell you which tab, but different motherboards have different bios, so yours may be under a different tab than mine, anyway.

teh_hunterer said:
ok, here is what you do. put a ps/2 mouse and keyboard (2nd newest type of mouse and keyboard) plug it in to the purple and green ports on the back of your computer. turn the computer on, and press the delete button on the bios screen, to enter bios/cmos settup. i dont remember which tab it is under, but somewhere in the hardware settings, enable usb mouse, and usb keyboard. i will go to it and tell you which tab, but different motherboards have different bios, so yours may be under a different tab than mine, anyway.

dude thanks 4 the response. i think this may be the answer as well - unfortunately altho i spent a good deal of time in the BIOS i wasnt able to figure out wat to do. i couldnt find the appropriate options. im givig a breakdown here of all the options that i thought were relevant:

MAIN
Keyboard Features
Boot Up NumLock Status
Keyboard AutoRepeat Rate
Keyboard AutoRepeat Delay

ADVANCED
BIOS Update
PS2 Mouse Function Control
USB Leggacy Support
Chip Config (is a menu)
I/O Device Config (is a menu)
- Onboard Serial Port 1: [3F8H/IRQ4]
- Onboard Serial Port 2: [2F8H/IRQ3]
PCI Config (is a menu)
Shadow Config (is a menu)

POWER

BOOT
1. ATAPI CDROM
2. Removable Device
3. IDE HardDrive
4. Other Boot Device

Plug n play OS
Reset Config Data
Boot Virus Detection

it should be under advanced bios, and just enable it. but if that's not it, just explore the bios/cmos until you find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom