Camcorder to PC video capture - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to TheDarkFox Send a message via MSN to TheDarkFox Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkFox
Default Camcorder to PC video capture

Hello techforums! First post here on the forum. :] I come to you all today with a question. I have an old samsung camcorder, model SCL860. This camera uses small vhs tapes to record with. To watch video playback, the tape must be rewound, then the camera must be connected to the tv with the white and yellow jacks. As of yet, that's the only way i've been able to watch what i've recorded.

It has a S-Video jack as well. I tried to set up windows media center to accept the S-Video signal as a TV signal, but on both Cable and Satellite TV it requires me to have a 'IR Reciever'. It gives me no instructions or details on what exactly that is, so my first question is what they're looking for.

Furthermore, i noticed in both satellite and cable setup on WMC, when i selected the input signal location to 'S-Video 1', which is located on my 6150se video card, the signal WAS getting through. I saw in a small box on-screen the video my camera was putting out. So i know the devices all work, and the output is working properly. When i advanced a few steps later, i ran into the IR Reciever problem, and could not continue.

I've tried routing through my DirecTv reciever, my VCR, and my TV. I tried using Windows Movie Maker. I have also tried to connect it directly to my Nvidia 8600gt (i have 2 cards obviously), and nothing happened. I'm not sure if the PC can detect the Svideo cable connected to the 8600.

Since i know the camera is putting out good signal, and my PC can recieve it, i need to know what to do/use to capture that video.

Thanks for reading!

Old 04-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: Camcorder to PC video capture

The problem is not using s-video but the RCA plugs where you need a tv tuner or video capture card for analog/composite input. If you don't have the select source option showing composite with the yellow plug being for video nothing will show.

With a tuner card like the AVerMedia MCE A180 you can run that on Vista as well as XP. AVerMedia - AVerTVHD MCE A180 (Retail), High Definition Internal PCI TV Tuner Product, HD TV Tuner, High Definition, High-Definition, Hi Def, Hi-Def, Hi-Definition, Hi Definition, PCI TV Tuners, PCI TV Tuner, TV Tuner, TV Tuners, Media Center, Media

They still haven't come out with a newer model showing it as "Vista ready" since other pci type models are still for 2000/XP. I had to replace a previous pci model due to that one.

They do carry other types like PCI-e, usb, etc. seen at AVerMedia - AVerTV TV Tuner & EZ Maker Video Capture/Edit Products For audio input you would need an RCA phono type to 1/8" stereo mini plug type adapter to plug into the input typically seen on internal models while the yellow would simply plug into the since RCA jack for video input.
Closed Thread