Call of Duty 5 taking up ~100% CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenVirus

Solid State Member
Okay so I have a problem with Call of Duty - World at War constantly hogging up 100% of my CPU.

I recently purchased an EVGA 8600 GT Superclocked (I'm short on cash), an upgrade from my aging BFG Tech 6600 GT OC.

My old video card only had 128 MB of RAM, so it supposedly could not support World at War. However, system requirements lab was proven wrong when I discovered that my computer could actually run WaW (on low graphics, of course). At that time, I had a problem with the game always taking up ~100% CPU. I would have to start the game and close it 3-4 times because the first few times it would take up way too much CPU, leaving me with a black screen for several minutes. In addition, every time I started or finished a mission, the game would freeze for several minutes, and I would usually have to close the game and restart it (or restart my computer). This was again caused by the 100% CPU usage problem.

When I purchased my new video card, I thought that it would solve the problem. I was proven wrong. Even though the game's graphics showed drastic improvements, WaW still constantly took up 100% CPU. I haven't tried it with any other games so far, but on my old card, I never had any CPU problems.

I thought the problem might be my processor, which is an outdated AMD Athlon 3500+ (single core) which is performance clocked at 3.5 GHz. However, according to system requirements lab, the WaW should work fine on my processor.

Anybody have any ideas?

It's a problem with the game not the fact it's using 100% of your CPU, when you open anything you'll be using '100%' of your cpu, have you downloaded the latest drivers for your video card from the nvidida website?

I'm not sure too whether your 3500+ is really capable of running WAW, it's a 2.2Ghz single core which is definately pretty old for modern games like WaW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom