Cable Modem/Wireless Router Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

peshkipo

Beta member
I have a wireless G MSI RG54G2 router and am having trouble staying connected to the internet. I have resorted to resetting the router everytime i need to use the internet because once it is resetted it will work for about a half hour then whenever i try to go to a website it will say "operation timed out". I have phoned my ISP and they were no help so i have no idea what the problem might be. There are 7 people connected to the network all using the interent.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks, Joey

What kind of router are you using?

From my experince, cheap routers do not like more than a few users at once...

Try bypassing your router. It sounds like it could be the router or the internet connection itself. So, by bypassing the router, it will pretty well tell you what the problem is.

You might want to have a look to see what the lights on your modem are doing while the internet connection is acting up. If they are doing something that isnt normal, then it might be something with the cable signal or the modem itself.

I have tried bypassing the router and the internet works fine when connected directly with the modem, so i'm pretty sure it is something wrong with the router. Would giving everyone on my network static ip's help the situation at all?....oh and the Router is an MSI MSI RG54G2 and i have heard of others having the same issue as i am. Maybe ill just get a new one.
Thanks, Joey

I would definitely check the router configurations and see if there is an upgrade for the router firmware. Depending on the Physical connection and logical limitations of your ISP 7 users at once could be overhaul for a limited bandwidth connection (Below 2 Mbps).

One more thing make sure DHCP is enabled and see how it is configred if you dont know what im talking about just ask!

Well *smackhead* that came out wrong DHCP is obviously enabled but I meant I was curious to see if it is automatically re-releasing the lease information to your node. But you also could have it setup statically and that I am not sure of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom