Busted Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireheart

Baseband Member
Hey all.
When I put CDs (installation, music ect..) CDs into my (LG DVD-R) drive it doesnt read them. It doesnt even acknowledge that a disc is inside. It also doesnt show up on the My Computer window. But the device manager says its there. The device manager calls it a "LR1393Q RPB855X SCSI CdRom Device". Now I dont know what that means, but a friend says its seeing it as a "Scuzzy"(?) drive.

Is it fried?

There could be a couple problems causing this. For one thing, did you install this drive yourself. If so, make sure that the connection between the drive and the soundcard/onboard sound is not broken in any way. The other thing that might cause a problem is this. Is it hooked up through IDE or SCSI? Very similar but not the same thing. If it is an SCSI Drive, then that opens a whole different area to troubleshoot.

And yes, it is possible that it might be fried, but, try troubleshooting it a little further.

I'm betting its a SATA drive and i'm also betting its crapped-out... these things (optical drives) are cheap as chips and pretty unreliable these days

Hey all.
When I put CDs (installation, music ect..) CDs into my (LG DVD-R) drive it doesnt read them. It doesnt even acknowledge that a disc is inside. It also doesnt show up on the My Computer window. But the device manager says its there. The device manager calls it a "LR1393Q RPB855X SCSI CdRom Device". Now I dont know what that means, but a friend says its seeing it as a "Scuzzy"(?) drive.

Is it fried?

yes yes

There could be a couple problems causing this. For one thing, did you install this drive yourself. If so, make sure that the connection between the drive and the soundcard/onboard sound is not broken in any way. The other thing that might cause a problem is this. Is it hooked up through IDE or SCSI? Very similar but not the same thing. If it is an SCSI Drive, then that opens a whole different area to troubleshoot.

And yes, it is possible that it might be fried, but, try troubleshooting it a little further.

If an SCSI is a "scuzzy" then no. I don't know what a scuzzy is, but I'm positive that I dont have one.
Buddies lending me an old drive he has tomorrow, Im gunna set it up and see if it is infact the drive. Ill let you all know how it turns out.
Thanks everyone. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom