Burnt 4-pin Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

advancedgeek

Daemon Poster
My PC didn't power up properly and I was wondering what could be the problem. First there was no POST beep and there was nothing on the screen. The cpu fan was the only thing that was working and my motherboard is ASUS P5LD2-VM. Then I reset the CMOS but it still didn't work so I tried unplugging the 12V 4 pin power supply and I saw that it was burnt. I have posted some pictures. Both the motherboard 4 pin slot and the PSU 4 pin is burnt. I think other is working.

ImageShack - Hosting :: p5310008sx9.jpg

ImageShack - Hosting :: p5310005wz1.jpg

Also if my motherboard or PSU doesn't work then can you suggest me a good motherboard or and a PSU? I might get a good graphic card later on but I am not sure. I probably won't go SLI but probably PCI-E and intel compatible board is good. I have 2 A-DATA 667 MHZ 512MB which is 1G and 400GB and 80GB hard disk which is both SATA and also an dvd-rw burner which uses IDE and a Pentium D 930. Thanks.

What was the brand and model of your PSU?

You can't always prevent this kind of problem with PSU, a wise move is to always opt for a good quality brand name and never skim on your PSU. I've seen quality name PSU go bad too so it's tough to say.

As far as board & PSU, that depends on what you use it for. For starters I would reccomend a PSU over 350 w for sure, depending on the CPU & Video card you're using will have an effect on what PSU you should use. If you're looking for something mediocore, not too expensive, but not so cheap that you hope and pray that it'll work. Look at the MSI P4M900M2, it's around $80, supports 667 DDR2 with two slots, LGA775, SATA & IDE channels, 8 Channel Audio, PCI-e. Seems to work just fine. As far as a PSU, if you're not doing anything special a RaidMAX 420 w unit should do the job and I can't say I've seen a lot of those DOA.

your motherboard is fried for sure, you might of power spiked it and it killed the motherboard.

happened to me once with my Motherboard too, but it was in my 20 pin connector , dont know what caused it but im assuming it was a power spike or surge

that isn't necessarily the fault of a surge, could be just a plain old bad PSU.

I know someone else with a pentium D that this happened to.

anyways I got my new motherboard and PSU but the problem is that my CPU might be fried as it won't beep for the POST and I want to make sure if other people had this kind of problem had their processor fried too. Also the new motherboard is Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 and the PSU is DELTA Serverpower 550W
Also is there any site which i can look up the price of processors in the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom