Burning smell... - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Default Re: Burning smell...

The ram upgrade won't make much of a difference, If you want to be prepared for a next-gen (or high end current) card, I would recommend a 650-750 watt psu (with some decent amperage) (as newer cards draw 500 watts). However if a 550 works for you now, chances are it will last you another couple years in terms of power output with a similar build (Unless you are planning a larger card).

It may not be the ambient temperature of the PSU leading to the burning smell, rather it could be a single faulty component causing the board or shielding to melt. Is it like a heat burning smell or a melting plastic smell, meaning the overall air temperature coming out could be cool despite it burning.

Since you narrowed it down to the PSU, there is no need to run the tests I listed. (as I am sure you know, just letting you know anyway)

<--------- If I helped you to your satisfaction, Rep me! (Its the green check)
Closed Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On