Burning Problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2006, 10:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to ApolloIV
Default Burning Problems

Well I have a lite-on DVD-RW, i've burnt cd's with it before and now all of a sudden i cant burn a single one. the last cd i burnt was in mp3 format and since then i cant get it to burn anything, does this make sense? is it possible that the drive is crapping out on me? its a fairly new drive, put it in about 4 months ago. i've been using nero and when i try to burn it says the program is not responding and must end now. well i reinstalled it twice to make sure and the same message popped up. i downloaded a different program and when i go to burn it goes into the buffering/burning stage but then says that their was an error and thus stops the burning process. anyone have any ideas what could be wrong here??

Old 09-06-2006, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to jcortes

try buying a cleaning cd with the little brushes on it see if that helps. also try another brand of cd-r's and if that doesnt work sometimes drives just break randomly like that most of the time due to a misalignment of the read write heads but cant really fix that unless you wanna pay for more than the drive is worth.

AIM = jcortestechhelp
Old 09-07-2006, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
I know <html>, do you?
Send a message via AIM to SYL\X/3K Send a message via Yahoo to SYL\X/3K

Does the disc Spin ?
If yes then follow this,

1. open it up and clean the laser with a Q-tip soaked in rubbing alcochol or windex, then use the other side of Q-tip clean it dry.

or if that doesnt work,

2. there's one or two rods that help move the laser up and down , grease the rod(s) with engine oil, or some greasing component and see if that works.

Post back if it works or not because it highly unlikly for the burner to break within 4 months because i had my cd burner for over 5 years and its still running smooth.
P3 Setup- Intel 1.0ghz , 512Mb SDRAM , ATI 9200 128MB, 2x 40GB HD, Asus CUSL-LV

.....:::::POST Troubleshooting Steps.___.My Rig.___.Memory Test:::::.....
Old 09-07-2006, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to ApolloIV

well i found out that i can burn mp3's with nero but when i go to burn a regular cd it still says nero.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. so i dont think the lense is dirty if it can at least burn mp3's. so idk what to check now.
Closed Thread