Burning Multiple Dvd's at Same Time - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2006, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Angry Burning Multiple Dvd's at Same Time

I just got a new computer, (dual 2.8ghz, 1024ram)with a dual layer 16x burner. i decided to put my old burner as a second drive so i could burn 2 dvd's at once and save a load of time. i tried it, but each burner slows down to a steady 3x write speed. first drive is 16x, second drive is 4x. i'm using dvd decryptor to write my image files. i'm curiuos to what the problem is. i'm running both off the same ide cable, could this be the problem.. could i buy a second writer to run off my usb 2.0 or Sata port, and have both run at top write speeds? please help! .. thanks

Old 01-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

By using 2 drives at the same time on the same IDE lead you are causing a bottleneck on your system. Yes you can get a USB DVD-RW but im not sure about the speed if your using both at the same time.

Old 02-19-2006, 07:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i emailed Gateway and they said that buying more ram would definately increase the speed of each dvd burner burning simultaneously...

does this sound about right??? or a bid to possibly give them more money if i stupidly decided to buy ram off them instead of a cheaper ram store.. lol
Old 02-19-2006, 07:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

they are full of crap. burners hardly use any ram in modern systems because of the speed of DMA access and on board buffers. the only way it will work is if the burners are on seperate IDE channels. do you have an IDE hdd or only SATA? if there is no IDE hdd then put them on seperate channels. now would be a good time to point out that burners rarely reach there labelled speed ratings.
Visit my website - nitestick.net
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 02-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

sata only hdd... but there's only 1 ide channel... on an 8x dvd+r it'll get a max speed of 6x if burning only one dvd... if i start 2 at the same time, both will only reach max of approx 3.5x.. would a sata burner help possibly ? one on ide, one on sata? i have no idea.. thx for the replies
Closed Thread