Burner not recognizing blank DVD's - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Burner not recognizing blank DVD's

Newb to this forum. I recently built a new PC and reused my hard drive and DVD burner on the new setup. The night before I made the swap I was burning DVD's without any issues. Now when I put in a blank DVD -R, Windows will see that there is a disc in the drive but it shows the DVD as having 0bytes used and 0bytes free. I tried several Verbatim and several Samsung DVD R's with the same results. If I try to write to them it just says that I have insufficient space. It will however read blank cd's, burned cd's, Real CD's, Real DVD's, and burned DVD's.

Burner is a TS-H552U and has the most up-to-date firmware (I flashed it again but still no luck). I am using the same copy of Windows Pro XP as before. The weird thing is when I put in a blank DVD, the title on my E drive will change from DVD-RW to CD. If I put a burned DVD in then it changes to DVD. I heard that this is a known issue with Windows XP but it did not do this before. I have the drive set as the slave but I don't think that changing it to the master will make a diff (might be worth a try though). Aside from trying a repair on Windows I am out of ideas. Help is appreciated.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to King X13

do you have all your windows updates since its a new install? what burning program are you using?

Old 01-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by King X13
do you have all your windows updates since its a new install? what burning program are you using?
Yeah, I got all of the windows updates and uninstalled/reinstalled the drive but no luck. I have tried Wndows and Nero6 but both do not see any free space on the blank DVD's.
Closed Thread