Built in Video Card help.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancefiles

Beta member
My brother gave me his old Optiplex GX260...(he stripped it of course before I got it.) When he had it it had a flat screen monitor connected to it..(which he kept) the computer still has the PCI card which connected to the monitor, Im assuming he some how turned off the built in video card because I cant get it to work, when I plug my monitor to it nothing happens, Though I have installed another video card...(generic) which does work Im sure its notas good as the one built in any suggestions on howI can turn it on or get it to work ?/////

lancefiles said:
My brother gave me his old Optiplex GX260...(he stripped it of course before I got it.) When he had it it had a flat screen monitor connected to it..(which he kept) the computer still has the PCI card which connected to the monitor, Im assuming he some how turned off the built in video card because I cant get it to work, when I plug my monitor to it nothing happens, Though I have installed another video card...(generic) which does work Im sure its notas good as the one built in any suggestions on howI can turn it on or get it to work ?/////

open up the case and make sure its sitting in the PCI slot correctly. also make sure if there is any cables going to it, they're all snug in the connectors. you could try downloading drivers for it, but seeing how the pc doesn't recognize it at all, it might just be dead. did your bro say it worked before he gave it to you?

Re: Re: Built in Video Card help.........

KNiGHTMaRe89 said:
open up the case and make sure its sitting in the PCI slot correctly. also make sure if there is any cables going to it, they're all snug in the connectors. you could try downloading drivers for it, but seeing how the pc doesn't recognize it at all, it might just be dead. did your bro say it worked before he gave it to you?

well hesaid it came with the flatscreen so we dont know if the built in one ever worked but the cpu was new when he got it why wouldnt it? And the little slot it is in , it is in. should I take the PCI video card back out when Im checking to see if it works , I'vetried that before and was just wondering if that could prevent it from coming on.

If you have a seperate video card on the PCI bus, then it will disable the onboard one. Remove any other Graphics card that is in the computer and try. Most likely the Graphics card that you installed is in fact better than the onboard one, as they are shocking!

Ruan

Re: Re: Re: Built in Video Card help.........

lancefiles said:
well hesaid it came with the flatscreen so we dont know if the built in one ever worked but the cpu was new when he got it why wouldnt it? And the little slot it is in , it is in. should I take the PCI video card back out when Im checking to see if it works , I'vetried that before and was just wondering if that could prevent it from coming on.

i re-read the original post and i misread it. ruan is right. the pci video card is installed and the board automatically disables the onboard video. therefore, take it out. but, it would make no sense, depending on whether the pci video card itself is better then the onboard. if its an optiplex, then chances are the onboard video sucks. stay with that video card installed, or if you want to really put some money into it, you can buy a top of the line PCI card which will cost you about 200bucks. 200 bucks is a pretty expensive price considering, you could spend the same amount on a pcix card for todays systems and get 100x better results. but than again, i doubt that board has a pcix slot. i could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom