Built new computer but it won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystikal

Solid State Member
So I realize this problem is very very common, and I have looked on google for days now but to no avail. Please help.. heres the story. So I found an old computer in my basement and decided hey i'm going to get it up and running. The original problem was that it would turn on but it wouldn't display anything on the monitor. Ok, that was fine I thought it's pretty old i'm just going to go out and get a new motherboard and a new CPU and i also picked up a new 2GB stick of ram (which is definitely compatible with the motherboard I bought). So I hook up everything, mind that I've never done this thing before, and it just doesn't start... When i turn the power supply switch in the back, the 2 fans spin for a second and stop. Then when I press the power button the light flicks on for a second and the fans rotate abit too, but thats about it. Heres the specs:

Motherboard: AsRock G965M-S
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200
Hard Drive: some old 80 GB IDE hard drive
Power Supply: AP-350X Startech 300W ATX (old, from the older pc)
RAM: (1 stick) 2 GB DDR2 800U
CD Drive: some old cd drive that plays dvds

So thats about it, I can tell you that my cd drive isn't plugged into anything, except the power supply, I have thought of the possibility of a wrong arrangment in the front panel, or that some things in the motherboard aren't plugged into anything. I can tell you whats not plugged in since im looking at the manual:

1. PS2_USB_PWR1 jumper
2. Clear CMOS jumper (CLRCMOS1)
3. All the SATA connectors (because i have 2 IDE hard drives connected to the IDE connector)
4.Chassis speaker header (SPEAKER 1, purple)
5. USB 2.0 headers (4, 5, 6, and 7)
6. Chassis fan connector (CHA_FAN1)
7. Floppy connector (floppy1)
8. Front panel audio header (HD_Audio)
9. 2x PCI Slots (I plan to connect my wireless card later)
10. PCIE2 slot (I plan to purchase a video card later)
11. PCIE1 slot
12. Print Port Header
13. OC 800 jumper

By the way the motherboard has a built in video card, and the older motherboard had a pentium 4 processor and it was running fine until something strange happened not too long ago. Thank you very much in advance.

Try unplugging each of the drives, one at a time, to see if one of them is shorting out the system.

But it sounds like a bad power supply.

If I unplug everything thats not absolutely critical to the operation of the computer just to see if its the power supply, would that work? because the power supply DID work when i had the older motherboard and cpu. by the way i just noticed that the power seems be building up a charge because when i atempt to turn the pc on, the fans rotate for alittle bit, but if i immediately try again, they won't. If i wait like 30 seconds they would move again. I tried taking the hard drives out, but nothing different happened

Hi again, I just took out my old motherboard again (this one has a little light bulb which tells me if it has power and it does!) so im guessing it has something to do with me not knowing where to put the power switch cord in the front panel of my new motherboard. I just got the old motherboard to actually start the computer, so your right it might be the power supply, but it seems a bit odd that 300W cant power JUST the motherboard and CPU by itself? I disconnected the hard drives, i dont have any PCI cards in at the moment, and the power supply still cant? I used the eXtreme Power Supply calculator and after putting all the information, i got a little more than 200W so shouldnt it be enough?? Oh I must add that my power connector (connecting the power supply to the motherboard) is only 20-pin rather than 24-pin (which is what the new motherboard has), however as i was reading the manual it actually mentioned that if I had a 20-pin connector I would plug it in anyways making sure that I line up the pins correctly, leaving 4 pins off to the side. It mentions it in the manual so that shouldnt be a problem right??

The power supply can be bad or weak and still attempt to spin a fan and illuminate a light.

What are you using for a video card?

Plug a PC Speaker into the Chassis Speaker Header and listen for a beep or a series of beeps.

My new motherboard has a built-in video card, ill replace it later but yeah i have that for now. I do have the 4pin and it is connected to the motherboard. As for the speakers, when am i suppose to be hearing beeps? i don't hear anything.. but maybe its cause I dont have anything connected to the Chassis speaker header (SPEAKER 1, purple)..? However I'm suspecting that its actually my speakers fault, im gona see if i can get a hold of any other speakers.

I will go out and buy a new power supply tomorrow, how much Watt power is recommended?? Something that is also worrying me; I don't know where my CD Drive should be connected? I only have the power cable connected to it but nothing else, where is everything!? I cant find those big connectors for it, and even if i did I can't find a spot on the motherboard that i could plug it into.

Doh, lots of questions eh... but all easy.

Your systems not to power hungry, I'd go 450-500 max so you can add a gpu and bigger drives latter.

The cd/dvd and hard drfive plug into thed same ribbon, and go into thed blue plug by the 20 pin power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom