Building your own Back up Power Supply.. Any Help Please.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
I'm really not sure if this is in the Correct Thread. What I'm wanting too do is build my own UPS Power supply using a Multitude of Car Battery's and I know that you need an Inverter.. I've no Idea what an Inverter is and what they do but I've been looking on Play.com at the Prices, and it seems too me this could be a good Power back up that will last a lot longer than the traditional UPS Supply readily available. If its possible I'm wanting too put a trip in their so as too the electricity trips out on the Mains the Back up will kick in.. Can anyone help please.

To be honest, I would just go out and buy one, it's few an far between that building your own from old or recycled parts in cases like this works out well.

All a inverter does is conversation the 12v direct current to the current in your wall socket depending on where you are, The big difference with the UPS is it keeps the battery charged up where as a inverter and battery you will have to charge the battery every so often or keep a float charger on it to keep the charge topped off, Also the ups has the power going through it but the inverter you will need to plug it in once the power goes out so it kind of deletes the purpose of it in the first place.

UPS's also filter the power coming in, to "clean" it into a proper sine wave, which will add controllers/electronics to your UPS if you want to build a proper one.

+1 to what Kharn said... sometimes it's better to get the real thing ;).

Been reading up on back up power supply systems, and yeah I now agree with all you have said. Looking at the Generators what are in the region of £2K upwards for a Long Line Generator too run threw the Night filtering the electricity to clean energy for sensitive equipment. I've been looking on Play.com at the UPS and for a relatively good one you can get one for 100 upwards.

Back
Top Bottom