Building a PC, wont boot up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronsoup

Beta member
Okay, so i've built many a pc in my time, mostly without problems.

I offered to build my boss a PC, and of course, it's not working

It is a standard ATX motherboard with onboard audio/lan/video.

Using a 3100+ semperon s754 processor retail edition with the thermal gizzay already applied etc.

Using a SATA hard drive

using a basic PSU.

The problem is this: everything seems to be connected up normally. When i turn on the PC, the CPU/PSU fan both spin, i heard hard drives engaging, CD drives engaging, the only thing I don't get is and picture on the monitor.

Bit of background, i'm using another motherboard now, same sort of specs. it is compatible with the processor, and I doubt (& pray) I can't get two dud mboards in a row.

I'm also on my 2nd CPU, as I exchanged the 1st just to be safe as well.

Using the correct ram for the system, and have tried switching ports, and also tried ram i know to be working, makes no difference

Have tried using an IDE hard drive, to no avail.

I've also tried using a AGP graphics card, didn't work (I think the on-board graphics overrides it until you tell it not to through the bios/windows)...

Also, obviously, tried switching monitors just in case, nada.

I've also tried loosening the screws to make sure that there are no shorts.

I've aaaaalso tried unplugging all the drives and just booting up using Ram, CPU & motherboard, still no on screen image.

If anyone feels they need the specific model numbers of the parts let me know and i'll dig them up....

please somebody help me! this PC was supposed to be ready for my boss this morning and i've had to take the morning off to fix it!
:( :( ;) :(

sounds a bit odd, you might want to try using a different PSU just to eliminate that as a possibility.

I would take the mobo out of the case and put it on your desktop (might be an idea to use antistatic wipes first). Connect the CPU and heatsink/fan, + 1 dimm of Ram. Connect up both of the power connectors to the mobo and your keyboard, vga cables. Also reset the CMOS for luck ;).

Power it on and see if that works.

Would if I could on the PSU, haven't got another one with the 4 pin ATX 12v thingy.... Anyway, will try that now and get back to you on it. Thanks

you mean the extra 4 pins on the atx connector? (making 24 pins?) if so then try the other PSU anyway, the extra 4 pins are just to supply extra current when the board is under high load but it will work without them.

Okay, lemme explain. My PC is a Socket A.... It has the standard 20 pin connector, that's it.

This board, a socket 754, has that same 20 pin setup, but an additional 4 pin (square) ATX-style connector which is away from the main connector, on it's own near the i/o part of the board, so i assume is something to do with the onboard video card thing? if it's not then i'll try using a different PSU.

Also, can I jumper the power switch pins on the mboard? or do i have to stand the case next to it. sorry for the 1001 questions..

okay, quick update - have tried another (definatly compatible) PSU, still no picture. Have taken everything out of the case and tried and tried and tried to make it work but it just refuses to.

There is a good chance you have a bad motherboard right out of the box. Its happened to me a few times.

yes sounds like a dud mobo, it does happen, I've seen two doa supermicro server boards this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom