Building new Computer - is my new Hard Drive bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King$nake

In Runtime
We got all the parts from NewEgg.com today, and assembled everything. I started up the PC and went to the BIOS screen. The Hard Drive was recognized in SATA 1, and the DVD Drive was SATA 2.

So we went to the Windows XP setup, and it didn't recognize any hard drive on the system? We turned off the PC and went and re-checked the hardware connections, etc. We got the same error??

So we took the PC down to Geek Squad, and they confirmed everything was connected properly. They were going to charge $100 for a diagnostic, so I took it back home and turned on the PC again hoping it would fix itself, haha.

However now the BIOS is NOT recognizing the Hard Drive, it just lists the DVD drive. On startup it says "Detecting IDE Drives" and only shows it is detecting the DVD Drive?

Also, the Hard Drive is making a faint beeping sound and is a bit noisy? What could be the issue. Is this a bad hard drive?

Here are the system specs:

- G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

- Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3320613AS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

- LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30

- Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model

- GIGABYTE GA-EG41M-S2H LGA 775 Intel G41 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

- ASUS EAH4670/DI/512M/A Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card

- Antec Basiq BP500UB 500W ATX12V Version 2.01 Active PFC Power Supply

A good starting point would be trying a different SATA port.
After that try the HDD in another computer and see if it recognizes it. If it doesnt post in another PC it's probably a bad drive.

I'd start there and see what happens. There's no need to go down the long road of possibilites without knowing what's at fault here, HDD or mobo.

Make sure you have that SATA port enabled in BIOS. I don't understand why you even have the option of turning them off completely.

In my experience it should also start the labeling at 0 for SATA ports. My system drive is on SATA0 and my storage drive is on SATA1.

I dont believe HDDs come with internal speakers to beep at you. If its your mother board speaker you have a problem.

Judge hit it on the head, do some HDD swapping and you will know.

The beeping from the HDD is not so much an audible sound. It sounds more like a faint heartbeat. Regardless, I've never heard an HDD make noises like that.

Anyways, we are bringing the PC over to my house later. I will try and re-arrange the SATA ports.

Do you guys know where I would check in BIOS to check to see if SATA is turned on?

Thanks

Well I took the hard drive out and put it in my other PC. I plugged it in and the computer did NOT detect anything in the SATA ports.

Is it safe to assume this Hard Drive needs to be replaced?

Thanks

Go to Advanced Bios features in the Bios of the gigabyte board. At the top of the page there should be a option called Hard disk boot priority. Enter it and it should give you a list of all the hard drives connected to the system. If the drive does not show up there I would assume that it is damaged.

If the drive didn't show up in the other PC then it's pretty safe to assume it was DOA. I would call up where ever you got it and tell them you got a DOA. They'll fix you up with a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom