Build Help. System doesn't switch on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Tenk-

Baseband Member
So I got my parts and put it altogether.

Case
Antec 300 Case

PSU
Antec EarthWatts 750Watt

CPU
AMD Phenom x6 1090T

Motherboard
ASRock 890GM-Pro3 890G DDR3 Motherboard

Hard Drive
WD 3.5" 7200RPM 1TB

Video Card
Powercolour 6870 1GB

RAM
1x Patriot Signature 4GB DDR3 1333

OS - Windows 7 Home.

In Short:
PSU: 750W
CPU: 6@3.2Ghz
GPU: 6870 1GB
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333
HDD: 1TB

Problem is, it doesn't even power up.

Is it possible i've blown everything up before i've gone to turn it on?

I even unplugged everything so jsut the mobo was hooked up to the power, still nothing.

What can I do to test each component?

My initial thought was it was the button on the case that wasn't working. However, I can't be sure in my inexperience I haven't accidentally blown up everything.

Please help.

Cheers,
Tenk.

If you question the case power button, you can use a flat screwdriver or other metal object to turn on the PC. Unplug the power switch and touch the metal object across the two power switch terminals. This should turn the PC on if everything is correct.

You can test your power supply by sticking a wire (or paperclip) between the GREEN and any BLACK wire on the 20 or 24 pin ATX connector. This should turn on the PSU fan if it is good.

Look through this guide and make sure you didn't skip something during the assembly.

The animated guide to Building a PC. Learn to build a PC from scratch with PCitYourself!

Funny storey, during the build I had that open on the laptop :D I'm pretty sure I didn't miss a step. But here is what I did anyway:

1. CPU into motherboard
2. Heatsink onto CPU (after flipping it around a few times... doesn't seem to matter which way it goes in terms of which way the little lever clamp thing points)
3. RAM into Motherboard (possible point of problems... I've only got one stick of RAM and i've got it in the A1 slot at teh moment.)
4. Risers into Case
5. Mobo onto risers in case.
6. Optical Drive into case
7. HDD into case
8. PSU into case
9. Wire up Mobo to case. I've double and triple checked i've got that right now. I had it hopeleslly wrong the first time. Had the front panel wires round the wrong way. Instead of being long ways along the pins, I had them up and down...
10. Fans into case
11. Hook up HDD to mobo
12. Hook up Optical Drive to mobo
13. Hook up PSU to mobo (atx 24 pin plus another 4 pin near the CPU)
14. Hook everything else up to PSU
15. Try to turn on.
16. Went to bed.

Just checked the PSU, the fan switches on fine. Now to check the button on the front of the case... I can't see a way to get at it. A bunch of bits are pop riveted in which prevents access from the back fo the button. I'll see if I can dismount it from the front.

Okay, can't disconnect the button. Tried sticking a paperclip across the pins at the mobo, nothing...

Any other ideas? What could terminally prevent a computer from powering up?

Ok, so I took it back to where I bought all my parts from. The fellow there had a quick look and it seems that I made a bonehead mistake whilst building.

It was about 1am and I was trying to build the machine anyway, I screwed a riser into every single hole behind the mobo and didn't realize there weren't enough holes in the mobo to actually screw the thing to all those risers. Looks like some of the risers might be shorting out the mobo.

I could be up for a new mobo here.

Thanks for your help guys! Next time I do a build, i'll be doing it when i'm well rested and thinking straight.

Yeah, I know that and I'm seriously hoping thats the case. I've got the store doing a diagnostic on it. Even if the mobo is fine, there is no guarentee i haven't screwed something else up in my over-tired delirium. I figure this way i'll know exactly what i've done wrong :) and where to go to fix it and get it working :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom