Funny storey, during the build I had that open on the laptop
I'm pretty sure I didn't miss a step. But here is what I did anyway:
1. CPU into motherboard
2. Heatsink onto CPU (after flipping it around a few times... doesn't seem to matter which way it goes in terms of which way the little lever clamp thing points)
3. RAM into Motherboard (possible point of problems... I've only got one stick of RAM and i've got it in the A1 slot at teh moment.)
4. Risers into Case
5. Mobo onto risers in case.
6. Optical Drive into case
7. HDD into case
8. PSU into case
9. Wire up Mobo to case. I've double and triple checked i've got that right now. I had it hopeleslly wrong the first time. Had the front panel wires round the wrong way. Instead of being long ways along the pins, I had them up and down...
10. Fans into case
11. Hook up HDD to mobo
12. Hook up Optical Drive to mobo
13. Hook up PSU to mobo (atx 24 pin plus another 4 pin near the CPU)
14. Hook everything else up to PSU
15. Try to turn on.
16. Went to bed.
Just checked the PSU, the fan switches on fine. Now to check the button on the front of the case... I can't see a way to get at it. A bunch of bits are pop riveted in which prevents access from the back fo the button. I'll see if I can dismount it from the front.
Okay, can't disconnect the button. Tried sticking a paperclip across the pins at the mobo, nothing...
Any other ideas? What could terminally prevent a computer from powering up?