BSODs, Game Crashes, Capacitor leakage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batman_tech

Solid State Member
I have been having a long stand issue with my custom built PC. It is about a year and a half old and is no longer under any warranties :(

The issues are random BSODs that are listed anywhere from

Page_default_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
IRQL_SOMEThHING OR OTHER

other BSOD driver/file errors include

win32k
dxgkrnl.sys

The BSOD and game crashes occurr randomly and with any game that will decently challenge the GPU.

I have searched far and wide for solutions. Here is what I have done so far to attempt to fix the issue.

1. Replace the Motherboard
2. Replace all the memory
3. Relocate RAM to other slots
4. Clean out any dust from EVERYTHING
5. Installed fresh Windows Vista 32bit
6. Updated all drivers for EVERYTHING(trust me =) )
7. Rolled back certain drivers like the video card driver just to see
8. Disabled onboard sound from BIOS
9. Updated BIOS
10. Checked GPU/CPU/CASE temperatures and everything is normal - although I had to unlock my Video cards fan speed in order to reduce heat
11. I have two identical video cards for SLI use and tested both out separately
12. installed all updates to Vista including the newly released SP2
13. adjusted memory timing and voltages for all components

I recently found another forum with someone having some problems with their computer and they were told to replace the PSU.

I have already replaced some parts and this time I would like to make sure of the problem before I go and purchase MORE things.

I opened up my PSU since warranties are no good anymore and I began looking for any signs of problems, namely, capacitors that have either leaked or vented. I am attaching a picture of the capacitors because i am unsure what the liquid/goo is that has appeared inside. You can see Yellow and a few brown spots. I have seen pictures of other capacitors that have leaked and this browness looks a bit different. There is no venting or swelling the front capacitor closest to the camera looks a bit tipped/slanted which means the bottom might be where things are leaking. but I would like some people who are experienced in identifying leaks and circuit breakages. Hopefully the pictures are large enough to see the spots and thank you for even reading all this text. I am very knowledgable when it comes to custom building and such, but for some reason I never wanted to believe the PSU was the problem since I spent so much on it to begin with because i understand how important it is to the overall performance of a computer.

Picture1-1.jpg

Picture12.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture6.jpg

Picture9.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Picture1.jpg

This is my setup

PSU: Rosewill 750W
Motherboard: Asus M4N82 Deluxe
video cards: Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
CPU: AMD 64 6000+

That is the Acid in the capacitors that has leaked out. Pretty much saying that those are dead and need replacement. It would be far easier to just get a new PSU.

Yeah I agree with you, thank you for giving me that second opinion. I thought at first it was only one capacitor that looked rough, but it turned out to be a bunch more, its amazing that I could run the computer the way I did. Ha. And I love ur Sig picture and avatar, as you can tell from my Sign in name, Im a big fan as well.

Do you have any suggestions as to which would be the best PSU replacement?? Brands or even specific ones.

I can help you in that department, what is your budget for the replacement?

Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling are brands to look at:

Corsair 450vx
PC Power and Cooling 610/750
Corsair 550vx
Corsair 650tx
Corsair 750tx
Corsair 850tx

Any of those are good, but I need like a budget and what stuff is in your rig, and what you plan to upgrade to (if any)

I have two 8800 GT video cards and the m4n82 motherboard and a mass quantity of hard drives...you can never have too man. Yeah, im thinking I should be safe and go with nothing less than 750 watts, unless you know something I don't. I am currently looking at these two PSU's what do you think? would you suggest something else. My Budget is around $100-$130.
Silencer 750W Quad Blue - PPCS750QBL - Buy.com

Corsair HX CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 AC Power Supply - CMPSU-620HX - Buy.com
^
That one is only 620 Watts but I think it will do the job

I have two 8800 GT video cards and the m4n82 motherboard and a mass quantity of hard drives...you can never have too man. Yeah, im thinking I should be safe and go with nothing less than 750 watts, unless you know something I don't. I am currently looking at these two PSU's what do you think? would you suggest something else. My Budget is around $100-$130.
Silencer 750W Quad Blue - PPCS750QBL - Buy.com

Corsair HX CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 AC Power Supply - CMPSU-620HX - Buy.com
^
That one is only 620 Watts but I think it will do the job

the 620hx is also a nice one too... but the price of that PC Power and Cooling albeit is hard to resist

hi, i dont know what your experience is with tigerdirect or their rebates, and i cant say much either since ive never actually bought from them but seems like their rebates are sometimes questionable.

and i dont know about amazon rebates either

but if i was gonna rely on a rebate from anywhere, it would probably be newegg. this is the same corsair psu you chose but from newegg

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom