BSODs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a virus to me.

If I was you I'd boot in safe mode, back up all I need, format and reinstall OS.
I originally suspected a virus. My MSE shows nothing, but I was never able to get through a full Malwarebytes scan without BSODing.

Reformatting is not an option because backing up is not an option. I have the OS installed on a 2TB drive that's full and all of my other drives are also full (this is a HTPC).

Bleh, I think my roommates and I might be able to scrounge up enough space for backup between like 5 drives. I'm just gonna go that route and reformat. Assume that fixes it unless I report back.

Alright guys, I'm back. I got everything backed up, but I'm having trouble installing windows.

I unhooked my other hard drives, so there's just the one in there now. When I try to install, it first takes a ridiculously long time to get into the setup, and then it never completes it through - it always reboots before it finishes and starts over at the Install screen. I was originally using a CD, then I tried downloading a new iso and have it booting from a flash drive, but I'm getting the same results. I've never had this problem trying to install windows before - I don't know what to do.

Update 1 month later: Tried running more tests, found nothing. Decided to just backup everything and reformat. Computer was working well for about a week, and then the same issues started happening.

-Explorer constantly crashes.
-Sometimes Windows will say it's not genuine.
-BSODs.
-Everything crashing.

I know you've ran and passed memtest but it still sounds like a memory problem. How many sticks of ram are you using? Two? Does your mobo have 4 ram slots? Have you tried moving your memory to the other two slots? It could be the memory controller, problem is the memory controller is part of the cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom