BSOD - Urgent!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurph

In Runtime
Unexpectedly on the last start-up of my PC it asked me to use safemode or last known good configuration. I have tried both options unsuccessfully, it just reverts back to the rebooting sequence, after seeing a BSOD very briefly.
After several failed attempts at the above, the PC switches on but now the monitor fails to boot. Does this mean that the graphics card in done, bearing in mind it is built into the motherboard?

Recently on occasions during the last couple of months I have heard strange noises inside the box, but am not sure if it is one of the HDD or a fan.

Any ideas, please, I am desperate, doing this from folks pc, so won't get back to it for 18 hours from now.

Before you got the BSOD the first time, were there any updates done, or newly installed hardware/software??

Hummm, like penfold said, try to get the info of what the problem is. If for any reason you can't, you may have to do some basic hardware troubleshooting; pulling everything out and trying to boot with essentials only. Put one part in a time.

I had a similar issue like your. I had bad ram which currupted the mbr of my HD. So not only did I have to replace the stick, but I had to mount the HD on another comp to get all of the data off, then reformat it. That was a pain.

yeah, what penfold said, (haha) actually DO try to get the info on the prob, coz its gonna be kinda hard to fix without knowing the info aye!
p.s if you think your graphics is stuffed on your mb, y dont you install another video card? :)

Thanks for your help guys, no I didn't get to see BSOD for long enough, and now I can't!

I had one windows update a few days back, and I had installed software for Pinnacle Showcenter (PS) the day before crash, but was able to remove during one Safemode bootup. I also turned on my wireless facility to connect with the PS, but was also able to reverse during above safemode.

Will try and disconnect slave HDD, and also see if I can get a spare video/graphics card to try....will have to wait after Easter hols.

Can just slot this into the PC, and it will use this instead?

Got it booted up to see the BIOS, at which stage my keyboard rarely functioned.
Was able to enter safemode and restore prior to changes.

Prior to the above, PC at POST screen, said "CMOS checksum errors - default settings loaded", any ideas.....?
Should I replace the MB battery, heard this may cause this??

Changed the battery on MB, and then tried an alternative graphics/video card, all with no success. Can occasionally access PC in safemode, and both HDDs seem to be functioning and readable.
I assume that this narrows the problem down to the Motherboard, or a component on it, say Processor, RAM, or Fan.
Please help on any further troubleshooting...........or things I can do in safemode.

Probably re-installing windows will fix ur problem. If you bought your computer with an XP cd, and have an xtra hd floating around, you can boot off that so you dont have to erase your current bt drive. Or do what Xandrex did, and remove your bt device for backup, befor re-installing windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom