BSOD, Squeal of Death -- and other goodies. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oriyan

Beta member
Good Morning.

I'm here because I have a computer issue (duh), that I need help resolving. I've asked my husband for help, and tech friends and no one seems to have an answer. So, more input would be helpful, please.

I seriously just want to RMA my entire system, but am willing to try whatever you all think might help, first.

I built this system in November, as a budget-to-be-upgrade-slowly system in anticipation for the new Star Wars MMPORPG.

Specs:

MB: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L
CPU: Intel I7-860
Memory: 2, 2GB sticks (DDR3-1333)
Video: Nvidia GT220-1GB PCI-E x16
Sound: On board
HDD: Barracuda 7200, 200GB
OS: Windows XP, SP3 (At one point I was running Windows 7 and thought that might be my problem... nope.)
PSU: 700Watt Tagan ITZ series (brand new. System came with stock, but i was concerned 400W was too little power for my system)

Since..December? I have been getting random BSOD on occasion that go from Memory Management, to USB device to IRQ Not less then or Equal. I had a failure so badly in April, my registry got all sorts of messed up, and did not recover, and I had to format (at that time, i was using a different HDD, so this is HDD #2).

Now, stop me if you've heard this one before.....

Any time I play any videos, or games, my computer locks up and either does or does not make the squeal of death. (And occasionally, I'll be minding my own business and one of the 3 random BSOD will pop on - The memory management error will make my computer reset itself after 5 seconds. The other 2 will leave the BSOD on the screen)

I have run mem test over night, no issues. I have pulled out each stick and run them in channels 1 and 3, and i still get the freezing. (On a side note, gigabyte does NOT say they support the crappy generic memory that came with my system). So in the interim, I order 1 stick of something gigabyte says my MB does support (its on its way). My system does not support running in channels 2 and 4 unless 1 and 3 are occupied.

I ran CPU burn-in overnight with no problems.

However, when I ran ATItools to test out my video card -- It always locks up. Again, because I am using video.

I have even made sure my registry is clean. I can even repeat this issue with NO programs other then XP installed from a fresh install.

I am being driven slightly (read as: a lot) insane by this. I have the ability to RMA my entire system if I want (MB, Video card, CPU, Memory) - but I want to see if I can resolve this myself, first. (Cause I am stubborn like that.)

I have also tried using a brand new completely different video card, and i STILL get this issue! (GEforce though, which is what I have, this was just a different crappier (cheap) card then what I have.)

I have not reseated my CPU yet because I am too lazy to run out and buy thermal paste. (I have a stock fan). I have 4 case cooling fans running as well in the proper directions. Heat does not seem to be an issue, my CPU is running at a cool 32-35C. My system temp is running around 45C when under load. (Normal for my system) My video card runs around 38-41C, and can get as hot as 70C when under serious gaming load.

As for whats on what IRQ -- Video and Sound are running on 16. As well as some other stuff, but I can't remember what.

As for my BIOS - It's been flashed and is up to date.

As for drivers -- I've uninstalled updated, uninstalled used old drivers -- STILL have this issue.

Everything I find about the squeal of death seems to suggest a sound card issue, however, I don't have one. I have on board.

My next fix is to use my hsubands MSI video card and see if that helps at all.

Suggestions? Comments? Thoughts? 2 cents? I would greatly appreciate it.:cool:

Haha! I wish! I tried my husbands card and i had the same issue!

And then we just had some major power surge (yay for people using too much AC) and now my husbands mobo is fried (computer won't turn on, fans spin for 1 second and turns off, spins for 1 second and off).

What a wonderful day! :facepalm:

Oh and , can a bad PSU cause these issues?

I downloaded Speedfan, and good grief.

+3.3v = 3.34v
+5v = 4.92v
+12v= 2.50v !!!!!
-12v = -0.68v !!!!
-5v = -8.73v!!!
+5v = 3.63v!!!

Squealing is usually one of two things: the graphics card under load, or (far more frequently) PSU. Those numbers you have posted are very wrong and TBH I'm not sure you could even boot up if they were accurate.
Having said that, Tagan are usually good supplies and, while the PSU is probably the issue here, I wouldn't rule out the motherboard just yet. Please try the 400W PSU that came with your system, it may not be a very good quality unit but 400W is easily enough power.

Haha! I wish! I tried my husbands card and i had the same issue!

And then we just had some major power surge (yay for people using too much AC) and now my husbands mobo is fried (computer won't turn on, fans spin for 1 second and turns off, spins for 1 second and off).

What a wonderful day! :facepalm:

Shouldn't it be on a surge protector? I mean if you're spending a lot of time and money on something, I think it's worth spending a little extra to protect it.

If you have a lot of power fluctuations or some severe outages or the like then that could definitely damage your power supply over time. A good surge protector should stop those kinds of problems. Some people seem to think a cheap power strip is just as good.

Those are the numbers speedfan is reading.... *shrug* I don't have the 400W PSU anymore, I used it to rebuild my old system and gave it to my parents for Christmas. Nothing says Merry Christmas like what to them was a brand new computer. I bought the Tagan for myself because of their good reputation.

I've tried 3 video cards, so I don't think it's the card. It could be the slot. Maybe. No idea.

My husbands computer is on a UPS and Surge protector and once the surge hit, both our systems went off and a light bulb blew out in the bathroom. Mine took a bit to come back on (would not turn on at first) and my husbands is not working period. I think his north/southbridge got fried -- there is some brown charring on it..

So I guess, once I get paid tomorrow, I will buy a new power supply and see if that works. If not, then I suppose its RMA city for my entire system.

HWmonitor reports a problem with the +12v.

However, my BIOS says my +12v is running at 12.652v.

So, what do I believe?

1.bmp

Newegg says my memory stick should be here on Friday. When that does not work, I am RMAing my entire system and letting the company I bought the parts from figure it out/send me all new parts.

In the meantime, I managed to get my husbands computer to work. Guess it just needed a break. *phew*

Believe your BIOS over HWMonitor, it also reports wrong voltages on my computers 80% of the time. Though it is almost always dead on with temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom