BSOD - nvata.sys - Ext. HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chazzer3

In Runtime
Hey Guys,

I'm having an incredibly irritating problem, which seems to be based around my Ext. HDD, I have 39+ gb of friends (TV show), that I want to copy onto my int. hdd, because its quicker to access, and easier, so I started copying over, copied about 5-6gb, and I got a BSOD...!

Thoroughly annoyed, because I now have half video clips etc, I worked out what was going on, and then started copying again, (resumed, not restarted IYKWIM), and then BSOD, almost as soon as the Ext. HDD started clicking away, same one again.

Then again.

They are always nvata.sys. I'm using the computer now, and since I'm not requesting data from the ext. hdd, it seems fine.

Also, when I play the vids off of the Ext. HDD, which is what I normally do, it gives me an Application Error, for explorer.exe? are these two problems linked?

Thanks very much in advance for your help,

Charlie -

take the hard drive out of the enclosure and put it directly into the machine. drag and drop all your items, xfer, then unplug and put it back in the external... I've had this problam sometimes as well... I think it has something to do with the USB xfer... but that was the easiest fix.

Thanks for your help guys, I'm gonna try the debugging thing first, and then resort to taking out the hdd, nukem.

Thanks a lot for your help, and any more ideas, please let me know!

k, I couldn't get anything useful out of that thing jcortes, but thanks anyway.

Is there anything else to do with nvata.sys before I start taking my ext. hdd apart?

i'm guessing its a part of the Nforce ata drivers... reinstalling your Nforce drivers might help.

also check if the error is the same every time if it is it also could be bad ram.

Thanks MrCoffee, its quite funny, thats what I just did!

I'm still getting application errors with the videos tho? does anyone know what this could be?

Charlie -

Oh, and jcortes, I have actually just changed my RAM, because I thought my RAM was bad, so its very unlikely that that is the case. (maybe bad dimm slots?)

Charlie -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom