Bsod- Not sure whats causing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmgdx

Baseband Member
It mostly happens when playing Call of duty waw,
when it does crash while in cod the blue screen will say something about
Page_Fault_in_non_page_area and reference a file called dxgkrnl.sys.

If the blue screen happens outside of cod it doesn't say anything.

I get those bsods with vista, I reinstalled xp last night
I now get resets instead of the blue screens.

Q6600 @ 3Ghz
Asus P5E-D
HD 4870

Any ideas.

Thanks,

I ran the memtest and the ram failed each time.
I tried all 4 sticks in different combos of 2 an the test came back with a continuous error
each time, so I tested each stick individually and they all passed.
So then I reset my bios so my cpu would go to stock,
ran the memtest again the ram was at 800 instead of 1066 and the test went fine with 2 sticks.

Then I tried 1066 again it failed, then I tried 887 I think it was and it failed, so finally I
set the cpu to 3ghz and the ram at 800 and ran memtest and it doesn't error.

Does this mean the ram is bad or am I doing something wrong?

I have 4 2 gb sticks of OCZ Platinum PC2 8500

That just means that the RAM cant run at those speeds. It needs to be run at 800 in order for it to work properly. Anything higher and it causes crashes.

If you need RAM that can do 1066 i would suggest you buy some new stuff. Cause the stuff you have now. Doesnt like that speed.

Thanks for the quick reply :p

What would you do, reset the cpu and run the ram at 1066 or
leave the cpu and run it at 800.

2 cents...

I have vista x64 and far cry 2 gave me nothing but problems which the only solution I could find was memory leak issues. I downloaded an update that was released from msoft the very next day thinking maybe it would solve the issue but didnt.

far cry 2 would force my computer to restart, I would be in the middle of the game and like the blink of an eye my pc was restarting.. Not only this, but often enough would give me bsod's with memory stop codes, 2-3 different codes but all relating to this infamous memory leak problem.

I haven't look up anything on waw other than the fact that I can't get the game to run because of some gfx code problem. I would look into this though.. because it's likely not your ram, and likely the game you're playing.

Left 4 dead crashes to my desktop... I never had a problem with guild wars until I downloaded 180.48 drivers and now crashes to desktop.. Also I know crysis + exp have given people problems with bsod's relating to memory..

I don't think it's bad hardware, i think it's bad software, or software conflicts, etc.

**edit: I also read that far cry 2 didn't "like" overclocked hardware, but that just sounds like a load of crap. Although I haven't tested it, perhaps it's something on your plate to try to resolve your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom