BSOD and no post

honestly i rather sell it as a 8GBset and he should stick to the 4 gb u posted in case he finds the need to add more later. the set i have is G.skill 1333

=_= cheapskate the guy asked for a recommendation it shouldn't be too hard to show him one.

Mud I recommend this one here:
Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KVR16N11S8H/4 - Newegg.com

Mobo, pentium cpu, ram, I'm guessing you don't need a hard drive..
Its gonna hit the price range of 200 bucks total.
What os were you running, also was it oem or retail ?

I was running windows xp home oem when all this happened

I own a copy of windows 7 premuim oem but i havnt gotten around to installing it on anything yet

if i install a new mobo and or cpu can i just plug in the hdd from the old mobo and im good to go or will be there some issues with the old mobo drivers etc

thanks for all the info and help guys
I really appreciate it

I own a copy of windows 7 premuim oem but i havnt gotten around to installing it on anything yet

if i install a new mobo and or cpu can i just plug in the hdd from the old mobo and im good to go or will be there some issues with the old mobo drivers etc

thanks for all the info and help guys
I really appreciate it

If you're currently running XP, you'll most likely have to perform a repair install:
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

If you're on Windows 7... it's a 50/50 chance of it working. I've usually only seen it work on copies of Windows 7 Pro; Home Premium will BSoD and you'll have to do a clean install; you can do an "in-place" install which will move your old install / personal files into C:\WIndows.old, and then install a fresh copy of Windows...then you can copy personal files over to your new user account, and delete the Windows.old folder when you're done using Disk Cleanup...you'll still have to reinstall all programs though.

As long as the drive is sata and not ide yes, using windows xp on the newer mobo cpu system...

Your best bet is start off on windows 7 if you have a spare drive use it for 7.
Go back to the other drive that xp, copy what you want from it and format it as a primary logical drive.
Use NTFS if the drive is over 30gb.

EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

As long as the drive is sata and not ide yes, using windows xp on the newer mobo cpu system...

Your best bet is start off on windows 7 if you have a spare drive use it for 7.
Go back to the other drive that xp, copy what you want from it and format it as a primary logical drive.
Use NTFS if the drive is over 30gb.

EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

+1 to this. Would be a better idea to take advantage of the situation and move off of XP and over to Win7, since XP is EOL.

Although, I'd suggest using GParted as a HDD format utility; tends to do a better job than anything else I've used.

my new PSU came today and .....it didnt work

So its either the CPU or the MOBO then.

I wanted to ask a few more questions before I proceed any further with this repair.

is it possible that its the pci slot in the mobo, would switching the graphics card to the other pci slot possibly fix the problem or is it possible that the ram is faulty and causing it not to post?

Is it possible that its just the cpu and I could just replace that, if so which one should i get?

If you guys think I should buy a new mobo, cpu and ram should I stick with an Nvidia/intel combo like you guys mentioned above or should I go with an AMD board and cpu like the ones i listed below because they are the same price as what you guys listed but they are more powerful

BIOSTAR Hi-Fi A85S3 FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

AMD Athlon X4 750K Trinity Quad-Core 3.4GHz Socket FM2 100W Desktop Processor - Black Edition AD750KWOHJBOX - Newegg.com

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL - Newegg.com

thanks again for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

my new PSU came today and .....it didnt work

So its either the CPU or the MOBO then.

I wanted to ask a few more questions before I proceed any further with this repair.

is it possible that its the pci slot in the mobo, would switching the graphics card to the other pci slot possibly fix the problem or is it possible that the ram is faulty and causing it not to post?

Is it possible that its just the cpu and I could just replace that, if so which one should i get?

If you guys think I should buy a new mobo, cpu and ram should I stick with an Nvidia/intel combo like you guys mentioned above or should I go with an AMD board and cpu like the ones i listed below because they are the same price as what you guys listed but they are more powerful

BIOSTAR Hi-Fi A85S3 FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

AMD Athlon X4 750K Trinity Quad-Core 3.4GHz Socket FM2 100W Desktop Processor - Black Edition AD750KWOHJBOX - Newegg.com

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL - Newegg.com

thanks again for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Read up on this: http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom