BSOD - Hardware problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your immediate thought was someone was assigning A as the drive letter while I knew right off what moriwenne was talking about having run multipe drive cases for a few years now. When he mentions: " I put the new windows on a recently bought disk B" it was quite obvious he was simply labeling it as B to separate the original from the new. :p

The question now for you moriwenne is are you trying to run just one or two copies of Windows on the system there? Or were you simply using that as a replacement host/OS drive while leaving the other one in?

You may have seen a bad install to the second drive itself explaining some of the problems that are coming up. A bad install will see all kinds of problems when going to install something new.

Hey everyone, I appreciate all your input, even your drive letters jousting :) keep it up.

Back to the issue. Crashes still happen.
I'm using windows XP SP3, with my earlier install that also had crashes I had windows XP SP2.
I left another memtest running the other night, 7 hours no errors, because I know how all of you would like to be sure about the memory :) So would I. I have 2 dimms so even tried running with just one and then the other.

I then removed my pci network card and put in my usb one. Still crashed.

Also, I had crashes that reported AVG like i mentioned so I removed it and the next crash started to complain about avast. So i removed that as well and now it complains about something else, comodo this time,

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WRONG_SYMBOLS
IMAGE_NAME: cmdhlp.sys

always tcpip.sys. Does this pattern make sense to anyone?

How old is the hard drive you have Windows running on? Besides memtest the usual first thing anyone shouts try running a diagnostic tool on the hard drive itself since you have been seeing this with more then one install of Windows! Simply telling you to reformat and install fresh apparently won't see this solved if the drive itself is now seeing bad sectors or heads worn.

Thanks for the input eyeCpc.

I had mentioned this in the first post so that it wouldn't be considered an issue. I has windows installed on my sata drive and had crashes. Then I went ahead and made a new install on my recently bought sata 2 disk that I was using for storage only. So bottom line, 2 different drives, 2 diff windows, both crashed.
As of now the only common points would be the cpu, motherboard, graphics card, psu. If it's some of those with some kind of odd problem, it will be hard to diagnose. I would aim for the cpu because the crashes are so random in nature. Like I had 2 yesterday 5minutes apart or so then another one hours from that and none since. They make no sense. But the crashes themselves always mention tcpip.sys and always mentioned avg till i uninstalled, then always avast till I uninstalled and now always comodo. That's the only real clue I have to try and get to an answer. Why did the crash blame avg? Why did it blame avast after that? Why does it blame comodo now? Why not something else? A mystery.

Thx
Mori

All three of the programs have one thing in common if you look carefully. Comodo being a firewall safeguards from online threats. AVG and Avast as well as other antivirus programs all do one thing in common namely check for updates online! All three are online orientated configuring themselves to the IE connection you have there.

You are right there, they are all similar, that's why I keep hoping that there might be some software related issue. But I can't see what would b the problem exactly. What could relate all of those and also my last windows install (that one only had avg).
In the whole wide world someone must have had a similar problem before, hence my fishing expedition.

Thanks for the input again.
Mori

The only thing I seem to be pointed at there would be a possible hardware fault not with either the pci nik card or usb adapter but with the router losing sync resulting in seeing the driver crash since that is still trying to load and access the connection.

The drivers/software for the connection could also be a problem. You may want to contact your ISP's support since this seems to pointing in that direction.

No go. I was using a pci network card and was crashing and now I uninstalled it and took it out and am using an usb one. Different cards, different drivers, still crashes. ISP? Router? How could that affect my windows? But even if it could, this comp is used in two different homes with 2 different connections so that can't have anything to do with it.

Mori

I was simply leaving room there as a possible cause if you were using two on one connection alone. At least the potential list of things is now starting to narrow down a little.

Being that this is now being seen on a new drive seeing a fresh copy of Windows there there's always the possibility of having simply seen a bad install of Windows where this problem is being run into again. Or you may need a specific registry tweak or patch if this is a known problem that comes up with that make and model board when running XP on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom