bsod boot device sata port trouble

Vic300

Beta member
Playing a game and got bsod, crashed then shut off. Upon startup I get a black screen that says Reboot and select proper boot device. I opened my box and replugged in all my sata cords. I have a sdd that I run windows on and a hdd for storage. I unplugged the hdd to see if it was competing during booting. Now I get to some other screen EFI shell version 2.31. I type exit and get to my Msi bios screen. I check system status and all the sata ports are not recognized. I still have the sdd and cd drive plugged in. Any guidance would be great. I can post hardware details if needed. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd suggest clearing your CMOS/BIOS settings.

Unplug PC from wall, press the power button a few times to clear any residual power in the PSU, and then remove the silver coin battery from your board for about 30 seconds. Insert it, plug computer back in, and boot back up.

Also make sure that you don't have any external drives or memory cards plugged in. System might be looking for os files on incorrect drive.

** after re reading your post I just saw you can't see drives in efi, is controller enabled? Do you use raid?

Last edited:
I'd suggest clearing your CMOS/BIOS settings.

Unplug PC from wall, press the power button a few times to clear any residual power in the PSU, and then remove the silver coin battery from your board for about 30 seconds. Insert it, plug computer back in, and boot back up.

I guess you fixed him CarnageX:)

I reset my cmos by removing the battery for about an hour then plugged everything back in. Once booted I was brought to a screen that asked me to hit f1 or f2. Got back in bios and reloaded optimal settings. Tried to reboot and it brought me back to the initial problem: Reboot and select proper boot device.

Back
Top Bottom