BSOD after logo, FINE IN SAFEMODE

Status
Not open for further replies.

twood1

Beta member
Alrighty. Long story short: My GPU, AND motherboard died (suspecting some sort of mischief between the connecting port on my motherboard and the pins on my gpu, essentially killing both of them.)

So I said okay, time to go to newegg and buy reduced priced package upgrades. At first I didn't know whether or not my GPU was dead, so I replaced my CPU, Mobo, and memory (needed to upgrade to ddr3). I just installed everything today, minus a new gpu, and the issue I had (random symbols on my screen) is fixed. However, another issue exists, and that is I get a BSOD after each windows logo screen. I've tried using my onboard graphics, as well as my brothers 8800GT nvidia card. My old one was 9800GT EVGA.

It does, however, start in safe mode so I can safely assume it's not a hardware issue. Right?? My guess is that somehow my old graphics drivers are screwing with both my onboard graphics, as well as the 8800gt nvidia card, and will not let me start. It's strange, however, because before I bought my new components I reformatted my machine and did NOT install my evga graphics drivers. The only logical explanation for me is that when windows first formats on your machine, and writes files on your harddrive, it somehow interacts with the GPU and writes system files based on that. <--- That may be completely wrong, but hey I tried hah.

I'm not a computer genius, but I am pretty good. I know a lot of things, how to build, how to navigate... I don't, however, know WHY issues arise. It's easy to see that because it works in safe mode, that it is a driver issue causing my BSOD's. That's actually a great relief, imo, because I was terrified that a new part (probably memory) was faulty!

Anyways, sorry for the rambling and long post, and hopefully you guys can shed some light!

p.s.: Another question completely unrelated: When i reinstalled my brothers gpu back into his computer, it wouldn't start. I said to myself "Oh my....". I took out the memory, reseated the gpu, reseated the memory, and it worked. Can motherboards be inherently picky even with no power?

<3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom