Bsod

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC_Caveman

In Runtime
Ok so i was playing Age of Conan and all of the sudden my PC starts freaking out, so i restart and get a lovely BSOD. I decide its a good time to upgrade my OS since i just got a nForse 780i SLI, so i reformate my HDD and start installing Vista 64. After it installes during the reboot i get another BSOD, i was thinking it was happening becasue i had 4gigs of ram in during the instal and i heard vista doesnt like installing with more than 2 gigs in the system board. So i reinstalled my XP and here i am, trying to figure out what casued my BSOD?

no love at all, anyone know if it is my 780i that is giving me my BSOD or do they tend to just affect everyone.

1. Bumping is not allowed, Merged.
2. Wrong section, moved.
2. Google, download, burn and then run for minimum of four hours memtest86+ on your memories purchased speed, timmings and voltages.

Having 4GB of RAM during Vista installation can cause BSOD. There is a fix provided on Microsoft's Website, as well I think they included that fix with SP1.

So here is what you need to do. Reinstall Vista with just 2GB installed. Then update all the drivers, run Windows Update, and install SP1. Shut down your PC and reinsert the other 2GB to have your full 4GB total and start up your PC. That should stop the BSOD.

The fix is only so that Vista will show that you have 4GB installed. Still can't use it.

Actually, the fix is to use 4GB of RAM in 64bit Vista. I know because I personally had to download it and it specifically said it would address that issue, which it did. If I can find it again, I will link to it and maybe we could Sticky it since it is asked quite often.

EDIT: Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A"
That article has the fix I used and it is now included with SP1. It will fix any BSOD associated with installing any version of Vista with more than 3GB of RAM.

In 64 Bit this was never a issue to have 4GB of RAM or more addressed. It was always in 32 Bit that it never showed the full 4GB. But yes your fix will allow for the installer to work.

Considering i just reinstalled vista 64 a week ago and got a BSOD everytime i booted up with 4gb until i installed SP1 i'm thinking thats what the problem is. Reinstall Vista using only 2gb of ram. Install SP1 then reinstall your other stick(s) of ram and you should be ok.

In 64 Bit this was never a issue to have 4GB of RAM or more addressed. It was always in 32 Bit that it never showed the full 4GB. But yes your fix will allow for the installer to work.

I'm not talking about anything to do with seeing the ram or not. Merely that Vista tends to error when 4GB (or more than 3GB, specifically) are inserted during installation, regardless whether it is 64bit type. Like me and Veedub experienced, you need the fix I linked to (or SP1) and that should resolve the blue screen issue.

if it is an evga board this is a comon problem, just download the most recent drivers from there site. fixed my 750i ftw bsod. the problem has to do with the north bridge, and it being capable of sata and ide. so its a sata driver problem. intel doesnt get this problem as the south bridge controls the ide while the north controls sata. i was on evga tech for about 2 hours trying to figure it out they where saying my memory was bad but it wasnt. i whent to bed next morning had the bright idea to try newer drivers booted in safe mode downloaded the new ones deleted the old, reebooted into windows all of a sudden no bsod with the old drivers gone, instaled the new drivers, and it worcked like a pearl, i called the solution into evga immidiatly after wards. the bsod occurs any tiem you have to access ur hard drive sadly.

if it is an evga board this is a comon problem, just download the most recent drivers from there site. fixed my 750i ftw bsod. the problem has to do with the north bridge, and it being capable of sata and ide. so its a sata driver problem. intel doesnt get this problem as the south bridge controls the ide while the north controls sata. i was on evga tech for about 2 hours trying to figure it out they where saying my memory was bad but it wasnt. i whent to bed next morning had the bright idea to try newer drivers booted in safe mode downloaded the new ones deleted the old, reebooted into windows all of a sudden no bsod with the old drivers gone, instaled the new drivers, and it worcked like a pearl, i called the solution into evga immidiatly after wards. the bsod occurs any tiem you have to access ur hard drive sadly.

That may have been the case for you, but in most circumstances it is related to installing Vista with more than 3GB of RAM inserted. It has happened to me twice using the 780i and apparently with Veedub's 680i as well, and the fix we both mentioned, works. Yours sounds like a different issue, but I'm glad you were able to find a fix and outsmart their "paid" tech support.

Jump to the Off Topic forum to catch my mini rant on hired tech support!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom