Bsod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerman

Solid State Member
This is the first time I've gotten a BSOD in Windows XP. Well, technically it's been three BSOD's today. I've googled, but came up empty.

Here's the error:
Code:
Technical Information"
*** STOP: 0x40000080 (0x893FC130,0x893E15D0,0x893FCEB4,0x00000001)

That's it for information on the screen. I put my computer together about two weeks ago, installed all updates, and it's been running fine up until now. I haven't recently installed new drivers - or installed anything for that matter. Besides a few word documents, my computer is exactly the same as it was two weeks ago.

First BSOD happened while browsing the internet.
Second BSOD happened when moving a file on the C: drive to another directory on the C: drive.
Third BSOD happened upon exiting the game Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

Info:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
ABIT KN9 nForce4 Ultra AM2
XFX GeForce 7300GS (overclocked *slightly*)
RAM Slot 1: Corsair ValueSelect 512MB 533DDR2
RAM Slot 2: Corsair ValueSelect 512MB 533DDR2
RAM Slot 3: PQI Turbo 1GB 667DDR2
RAM Slot 4: Corsair ValueSelect 256MB 533DDR2
Western Digital SATA HD 120GB
Western Digital SATA HD 80GB (two NTFS partitions)
RealTek AC97 Audio (onboard sound)
Scythe Kamakiri II 450 Watt

Drivers:
NGO NVIDIA Optimized Drivers 1.9371 (based off of the current nVidia drivers)
Current Motherboard Drivers from Abit
Current CPU Drivers from AMD
Current Audio Drivers from Abit

Temps:
CPU Idles at 32-35 C
SYS Idles at 32-33 C
PSU Idles at 40-43 C

Help!

Well that link didn't really tell me much... I've got all the latest drivers.

When I turned on my computer this morning, I got a "Windows has recovered from a serious error" box (even though I didn't bluescreen last time I turned it off) and it listed the same number string as above. I sent the error report, and it popped up a webpage that displayed this:

Code:
Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information) 
Solution available? : No (see Next steps) 
What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restart 
Cause : Unknown device driver 
Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code information
                    (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) 
Additional steps for you to take : Important: Please continue to send error reports
                                   so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct
                                   the problem as quickly as possible 

Information about this error

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer
caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error
is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your
computer.

Next steps

We have analyzed your error report and at this time are unable to determine
the exact cause of the error. However, Microsoft will continue to analyze this
error report to try to determine the specific cause of the error. If we are
able to find the cause and correct it, and you encounter the same problem, you
will receive an updated response that includes instructions for resolving the
problem.

Is there a way to find out what device driver is causing this?

I recommend that you get Microsoft's memory tester and build a boot disk - boot from it and test the memory with that tester. That will tell you if you have memory issues.

If you have any errors at all, unplug your computer, remove all but one of the chips, plug it back in, reboot from disk and rerun tester.

If that shows clean, repeat with the next chip.

When you find the bad chip, remove it :D

sylwek said:
back everthing up to a different HD or cd/dvd,formatt ur HD, do a clean intstall, and download this chipset driver for ur mobo:
http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/en/dow...p?pMAIN_TYPE=Motherboard&pSUB_TYPE=Socket AM2
for ur microsoft updates, let the system download and install by it self

This is exactly what I did two weeks ago. How would it make a difference doing it again?

A little extreme, I think.

Besides, my chipset driver isn't even on that site.

penfold said:
I recommend that you get Microsoft's memory tester and build a boot disk - boot from it and test the memory with that tester. That will tell you if you have memory issues.

If you have any errors at all, unplug your computer, remove all but one of the chips, plug it back in, reboot from disk and rerun tester.

If that shows clean, repeat with the next chip.

When you find the bad chip, remove it :D

I downloaded Windows Memory Diagnostic and ran it. None of the memory chips turned up bad though.:confused:

The thing about ram is test may not always show a fault when there is one. almost like a power supply. usually is an intermittent problem.

Sounds like a driver or IRQ issue

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information) and checked what it says about IRQ info (wright down the IRQs), go into my BIOS and change around IRQ settings there, change some from "Auto" to one of the IRQ settings it listed and I changed some to "Auto"

1.Start
2.Run
3.Type Dxdiag
4.run all test each tab
5.look at results at bottom on each test.

another option that has been mentioned is to backup and reboot..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom