Broken Socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

msandiej

Beta member
I was removing my CPU (an AMD socket 939) the other day and the most horrifying thing ever happened...

The socket came off with the CPU! And sadly, not in one piece. It shattered into many pieces.

In desperation, I went out and got a new motherboard, and plugged the CPU in and basically rebuilt, as the motherboard did not fit into the original chassis I had.

Now, I have this perfectly great chassis and mobo, but a shot socket. Is there a way to replace just the socket? I'd like to rebuild the old one with a new 939...but am worried my whole mobo is trashed.

Thanks!

Correct...I have a chassis that works for it, however...so I am up and running. The trick is, I hate to waste a good mobo if the old one can be repaired with a new socket...

What I would like to do is replace the socket in the mobo that has the broken one. Then, I can just get a new CPU and put the thing back together as another working PC.

So, really the question is...Is the socket replaceable? Or is the mobo shot because of a little broken piece of plastic?

msandiej said:
Correct...I have a chassis that works for it, however...so I am up and running. The trick is, I hate to waste a good mobo if the old one can be repaired with a new socket...

What I would like to do is replace the socket in the mobo that has the broken one. Then, I can just get a new CPU and put the thing back together as another working PC.

So, really the question is...Is the socket replaceable? Or is the mobo shot because of a little broken piece of plastic?

I don't think it can be repaired. Can you post a picture?

I had a similar case to yours, I was just browsing one day and heard a loud crash. I walked over to my pc I saw my cpu heatsink on top of my graphic card lol. Anyway you can buy that plastic heatsink support thingy somewhere I just dont remember where, I think tigerdirect had it not quite sure.

Well, I've attached a picture of whats left of the poor little thing...I'll check tigerdirect.

If its what I'm looking for, it should be called a socket.

Attachments

• socket.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 16
Hahaha...yeah, no joke! The thing probably costs a whole 14cents to make, or less...but will kill your mobo in one fail swoop! I am, however, on a mission to make a repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom