Broken Power Supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhOsT1321

Daemon Poster
I just got done sleeving a wire for the first time. I sleeved a fan, and to make sure it worked I connected it to an old power supply from an HP computer. When I plugged the power supply in the fan ran fine initially. But after about 40seconds the fan started pulsating in RPMs, I looked at the power supply and saw that the green led indicator for it was flickering. I unplugged the power supply and the flickering continued for about 5 seconds, along with the fan having pulsating RPMs.
I have used this power supply a few times to test fans, the most recent being about 25 days ago.
Do you think something is wrong with the power supply?
could I have messed up the wires for the fan (melting is only possibility) and that caused the power supply to mess up?

I would prefer not to buy a new PSU since I was planning on putting this one back into an older HP computer (3 years old) and using it.

I have not tried, assuming it is dying, are there any potential dangers of turning it on inside of the house?

Double check your fan connections. Was the power connector a large 4-pin Molex? Did you pull out any pins from the connector? Make sure the pin isn't moving in the connector. Check the wires at the fan body and motor. When you pulled the sleeving tight you might of broke or damaged a wire, or dislodged something thats causing a bump in the fan spin?

A fan really shouldn't bother a power supply at all. Even if you hold the fan blade and apply power it should act like it's got plenty of power.

Double check your fan connections. Was the power connector a large 4-pin Molex? Did you pull out any pins from the connector? Make sure the pin isn't moving in the connector. Check the wires at the fan body and motor. When you pulled the sleeving tight you might of broke or damaged a wire, or dislodged something thats causing a bump in the fan spin?

A fan really shouldn't bother a power supply at all. Even if you hold the fan blade and apply power it should act like it's got plenty of power.

That could be it, I remember one of the fan leads being loose and wigglign around. When I get back home I will take a look at the fan leads. Thank you for the suggestion, I will post back soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom