Broken capacitor leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

pork_sword

Beta member
Got this Radeon 3850 with a bent capacitor that after a closer inspection ended up having a broken leg. Warranty is not an option. I melted the solder and removed the capacitor. I soldered the broken leg back onto the cap but it wont take much to knock it off again. So I want to replace it.

The markings on the cap are:
PS78L
16v

It is a solid cap and it is blue. I dug around Digi-Key and the closest thing I found was: Digi-Key

If I don't find a solid capacitor can I replace it with a non-solid one? What about the capacitance, what if its higher than 270uf?

If you aren't rough with the card the cap should stay on fine. All it really is doing is sitting in your motherboard in the first place.

?!?!?! wow, weird cap...usually it has a 3-digit code instead of that weird PS78L string.
The capacitor you found seems to match close enough to the original, but why would you bother getting a new one? why don't you just solder a bit more wire onto the original cap's broken leg, then voila!

I'd think that as long as you keep the capacitance and voltage the same, the replacement would work. Note that bigger capacitors have polarity and you must solder them correctly (+ and - lined up right). Though you could reuse the old one by soldering a new lead to it and maybe applying a bit of superglue around the joint to protect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom