What the computer has:
Asus M5N-E SLI motherboard
AMD AM2 Athlon 4800+ processor
Antec truepower 480w psu
1G of RAM 800
320gb Western Digital SATA drive
8600GT PCI-E Card
Samsung DVD Drive

The problem is when i boot the computer, everything seems to be on, then the CPU fan stops spinning after 2 seconds, no beeps or sounds made what so ever, Fan on graphics card is spinning but my monitor isnt picking it up or recieving any image because it just stays blank (ive checked if this monitor works on another computer and yes it does)

So is the problem with my CPU? My brand new hard drive (i just put it in, was i meant to do anything with it? or am i forgetting something else

Thanks in advance

If you are not hearing anything after the first few seconds like drives spinning I would say you received a bad board as the likely cause. On the new buld here with the M2N-E model the bios chip seems to be the cause for the first board to quit after only 3 days of use. The replacement has been running strong for over two weeks at this point.

all of the plugs are in securely. but the cpu is still stopping after 3 seconds. Isit something to do with the CPU because my heatsink is in properly

The cpu or the entire system going dark? If the system shuts off in just a few seconds start looking at the board.

I saw that on the 3rd day here and a friend went through 3 doas of the same Asus 939 model last year on a new buid then. Once advised to go for a different model or make and model the next Asus model board saw results.

No audio alerts usually points at the board or supply as the problem. A new board with bad caps or a bad bios will see this type of problem.

ever since ive built the computer, its never output an image onto my monitor, its only ever turned on. So i opened it up to see what was working and what wasnt, Everything appears to turn on except the cpu fan which happens to turn off after 3 seconds and occasionly spins once and yeah any help would be appreciated.

If the cpu is bad that would generally either sound off an audio alert or you would see an onscreen message(old boards mainly) indicating a problem like cpu failure. That sounds more like bad caps, a bad bios chip, or maybe even a bad chipset in general. Sounds like the board arrived doa already there.

Ever since i built the computer, its never displayed any image onto my computer so yeah i couldnt see any error messages even if i wanted to. oh and btw the monitor works fine

The power is there as well pointing at the board simply not switching on long enough for the initial post tests. For the first few seconds the screen is generally black until a post test screen or manufacturer's logo screen appears.

One thing I got on when swapping out supplies on the last build here was a simple need to unplug and then ever so lightly replug the 12v cpu feed back in until the retaining clip made the clicking sound. Suddenly I found the new supply did actually work there when everything suddenly came to life. But that didn't see any fans spin then.

When the first board was found doa on the new build now in use the fans spun for those few seconds and everything went dark in an instant. That pointed at the board right there. The cpu is still seeing good low temps with the replacement board. A dead board won't sound off on any cpu fails or problems with a video card installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom