booting from scratch - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default booting from scratch

Hi, yesterday i bought a custom pc from a local computer store. They installed everything but the OS because i had one at my house. So when i got home i plugged it in and tryed to install windows xp. The installation failed and gave me an error message about something to do with the drivers not being installed. So i realized that i needed to install the drivers before i install the OS, so i put in the drivers disk, and nothing happened after the boot screen telling me what hardware is currently installed. I just get a black screen with a flashing line at the top corner. I also tryed the OS disk again, but nothing will boot now, what should i do? Thanks

Old 07-04-2007, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to ohGrFreak Send a message via Yahoo to ohGrFreak
Default Re: booting from scratch

The O/S should have given you the option during install to swap to the driver disc, install the drivers while still in the O/S install, then once done, swap back to the O/S disc to finish the install. Otherwise, I have no idea what to tell you, somtimes you have the option to install the drivers after the O/S install as well. You can't really install drivers for your hardware with no O/S to install to.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Perhaps it's the sata drivers you need to load?
e6600@3.1 24/7 w/stock cooling. 2g Transcend Memory
3 hd's, 80-XP Pro, 500 and 320-Apps,Pics, Music, Videos
ATI Radeon HD 3450 512MB-I DON'T GAME!
Ultra PS, Ultra Mid Tower Case
Lite-on internal DVD-R, Samsung Lite-Scribe Ext. DVD-R
2 Acer 19" widescreen LCD's. For HTPC Olevia 32" LCD
Old 07-04-2007, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

I don't see how it can be the sata drivers, becuase it did boot up the first time i put the xp disk in. It didnt install XP, but it booted up on screen, and at least I knew it was working, but now i get nothing. I didn't get the SATA Drivers either. I recieved a samsung DVD Writer Disk, and ASUS motherboard drivers, and an Vista Drivers Upgrade disk. Btw my motherboard is the AsusP5NSLI, and i have to sata drives in raid.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks for your help guys, I finally figured it out .
Old 07-05-2007, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

was the solution to press f6 during the install process and to put in the driver disk?

yeah most copies of windows xp dont have sata drivers . no sata drivers and windows wont see the harddrives properly

Closed Thread