Booting problem and power problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp855

Solid State Member
A few days ago my computer locked up while sufing the net with Mozilla Firefox. It wouldn't do anything and had to push the dreaded reset button. It was restarting normally then it came up with windows not shutdown properly start in safe mode, normally, or last known configuration. I chose normally. Then it comes up with the same screen with a message at the bottom saying something like...file missing windows/config/system. I changed the drive boot sequence and tried putting in the windows XP installation cd and rebooting but it wouldn't do anything with that either. Then i was getting keyboard not detected. I assumed i have a hard drive problem so i look in cmos and it won't detect the hdd manually. So i took it to a computer repair shop and when he hooked it up all the fans and lights came on but all it would do was a black screen. He hooked up a diag tool to the motherboard and came up with the number 25. He looked in a book and said the cmos needed reset. It didn't work so he done it a couple more times and now it won't do anything at all when the power button is pushed, no lights, no fans, no nothing. He tried another power supply and had the same problem. He told me the mother board is bad. Any help would be appreciated, i'm confused!!!

This is a custom build
windows XP home
mobo msi k8n neo4
cpu amd athlon 3200+ socket 939
graphic card nvidia 6600gt
2 corsair ddr 400 512 mb memory sticks
HDD st3808110AS that is all i can find on the HDD without removing it but i can if it is pertinent to fix the problem. I think it's a seagate barracuda 80gig

ya sounds like a dead motherboard , first the motherboard couldn't send proper info to the CPU (missing file), then it didn't wasn't read the xp cd , then it refused to detect the HD and the keyboard

First try replacing the CMOS battery if that doesnt work , test the ram with a diagnostic tool thats under my signature , if it pops up 100% working ram then time to buy a new motherboard

the guy that was looking at the pc installed different memory and still had the same problem. I will change the battery. Thanks, i will keep you posted

lts probably a bad mobo. it happened to me earlier. its either a mobo or cpu lssue. you could have someone test the cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom