Booting from a CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyZ

Daemon Poster
I have a laptop right now that has the BIOS locked. I would like to boot from a CD to install Linux, but boot from CD is turned off. Is there anyway that I can change that settings in Windows? Is there anyway to reset the BIOS. I also know there are preset passwords for desktop mobos, is there a preset password for this mobo?

The laptopis a Dell Latitude C540/C640.

Thanks for the help guys!

edit: I heard the laptop mobo resets after I pull out the battery for a certain amount of time. Can anyone confirm this and tell me how long I should wait? I have the battery taken out right now.

Download a copy of a program that allows you to destroy administrator passwords. Like "The Disc" or something like that, they're freeware on the net somewhere, just google for them, you can disable/reset/create passwords for administrator stuff period in BIOS and whatever else.

That's my best suggestion.

I found out you can boot from disk simply by pressing F12 at startup.

Also, if I wanted to I could have just unplugged the hard drive and let it boot from the cd.

Thanks for the help tho

Hi. If you pull your battery you clear your CMOS settings. Juts pull it out for a couple of minutes and put it back on. Then you can change your booting options, but that "theory" about unplugging the hard drive...don't try to create new things, you're gonna mess up your PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom