Boot-Up Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denise_M

In Runtime
Hi,

I just finished building a pc. The case has 12 bays.

I have Windows XP Pro x64 and a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 motherboard. I have several Seagate SATA 750G 32Mb buffer 1.5Gb/s hdds that I took out of their external enclosures and installed in the case, and 7 new WD SATA Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 32Mb buffer 3.0Gb/s hdds. I don't have a RAID Array setup. I installed all the drives under the IDE format.

I first installed Drive C, a new WD 1T hdd, and it was labelled as Disk 0 in Disk Management. I then installed Windows, drivers, updated drivers and some programs. I then added the remaining 11 hdds and, for some reason, Drive C was reallocated as Disk 4 in Disk Management.

Is this okay?

I'm having boot problems. . . it usually takes between 2 to 5 resets to get it to boot up, but once it boots up, it works great until I have to reboot again, every 2 days. I'm wondering if I'm having the problem because Drive C was reallocated to Disk 4.

I had no problems with the build . . . everything went smoothly. I tried reseating everything to see if it would correct the problem but it didn't help. I've updated drivers where updates were available.

I don't know if this info is needed, but when my pc boots up, it lists this info:
IDE Channel 0 Master - WDC hdd
IDE Channel 1 Master - Pioneer DVD drive
IDE Channel 1 Slave - Seagate hdd
IDE Channel 2 Master - WD hdd
IDE Channel 3 Master - Seagate hdd
IDE Channel 4 Maser - none
IDE Channel 4 Slave - none
IDE Channel 5 Master - none
IDE Channel 5 Slave - none

I know that SATA requires a fdd and I have one installed and it works, but it's not listed as a Master or Slave.

DVD/CD drive is first in boot order sequence.

Other components:
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield cpu
- mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel RAM
- CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
- ASUS EAH4650-DI-512MD2 Graphics Card
- HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 PCI Express SATA II 8-Port Controller Card

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hm weird problem... I'd try physicaly swaping the IDE Channel 2 Master - WD hdd with the IDE Channel 0 Master - WDC hdd on the motherboard. I don't know if that'll help or not... Also check your BIOS for a boot order.

Check the BIOS first though before swaping HDs on your Mobo.

Hi Patiszerg . . . thanks for responding.

"I'd try physicaly swaping the IDE Channel 2 Master - WD hdd with the IDE Channel 0 Master - WDC hdd on the motherboard"

I thought about doing exactly as you recommended but I can't do it the easy way. I have 7 WD hdds and they're all labelled the same, just the WD model number. I've opened the case and disconneced all of the drives except for Drive C and rebooted. Drive C was then Disk 0. I then re-connected the other drives and rebooted and Drive C became Disk 4 again.

I'll be opening the tower again soon to change the cables. The ones that came with the controller card are way too long so I bundled each cable and put a rubber band around the bundle but it's cluttered in there because of it. I bought shorter cables to replace the longer ones. I'll disconnect all the drives except for Drive C, reboot and go into BIOS, and see if I there's a way to make it IDE Channel 0 Master. That's a good idea, thanks :)

I believe that my boot order is 1. CD/DVD drive, 2. hard drive, 3. fdd, but I haven't been in BIOS in a couple of months so I'm not sure about 2 and 3. They may be the other way around . . . 2. fdd, 3. hdd.

But you gave me something to work with and I appreciate it . . . thanks :)

Hi Patiszerg . . . thanks for responding.

"I'd try physicaly swaping the IDE Channel 2 Master - WD hdd with the IDE Channel 0 Master - WDC hdd on the motherboard"

I thought about doing exactly as you recommended but I can't do it the easy way. I have 7 WD hdds and they're all labelled the same, just the WD model number. I've opened the case and disconneced all of the drives except for Drive C and rebooted. Drive C was then Disk 0. I then re-connected the other drives and rebooted and Drive C became Disk 4 again.

I'll be opening the tower again soon to change the cables. The ones that came with the controller card are way too long so I bundled each cable and put a rubber band around the bundle but it's cluttered in there because of it. I bought shorter cables to replace the longer ones. I'll disconnect all the drives except for Drive C, reboot and go into BIOS, and see if I there's a way to make it IDE Channel 0 Master. That's a good idea, thanks :)

I believe that my boot order is 1. CD/DVD drive, 2. hard drive, 3. fdd, but I haven't been in BIOS in a couple of months so I'm not sure about 2 and 3. They may be the other way around . . . 2. fdd, 3. hdd.

But you gave me something to work with and I appreciate it . . . thanks :)

Sure you're welcome. In my BIOS there is an option for boot device order (cd/dvd, hard drive, floppy and so on) but there is also a separate option for 'hard drive boot order'. Looks for the hard drive boot order and see what you can do there.

Also if you have a few bucks you could get pattition magic and that will allow you to change the order of the drives.

Thanks for the idea. I might do that if I can't do it manually myself. The computer weighs about 50 lbs and I can't move it myself in order to get the side panel off and get at things inside. One day this week, someone will be here to move it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom