Boot problems due to vid card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSkaBoss

Beta member
This "little" problem just cropped up for me, so any help/suggestions would be greadly appreciated.

My problem is this: I did a long-overdue reformat on a Compaq S4000Z system running WinXP, which went off without a hitch. After getting it set up and removing the bloatware/games I didn't need/trials/whatever else it shipped with that I didn't want, I shut it down and opened it up.

Removed the graphics card (a Radeon 9200), Soundblaster Live! card, 10/100 card, and 56 modem and did my best to remove as much dust as possible. I replaced the GPU and the soundcard (had no use for the other two, since I had decided to use the onboard ethernet connection), tightened them down, rechecked wires, and closed it all back up. Attached monitor (DSUB), power, and all the connections. Pressed power, and I get nothing on the monitor. To be more specific, it doesn't go to the BIOS or anything: the monitor shows a "check connection" type menu, as if the display wasn't plugged to anything.

The green power LED indicator flashes and goes out, while the amber HD activity light is constant. Fan starts up, optical drive lights blink as normal, ethernet activity light on, etc. as normal, so I know the motherboard is getting power. When the power button is pressed, the computer does NOT make a beep noise (something the HP tech support asked almost immediately).

To remedy this I have tried putting back all of the PCI cards in their original places before the problem, and used the computer with 2 different monitors. I also tried plugging the monitor into the onboard monitor port, with and without the 9200 card in its slot at the same time.

-------

Thats pretty much it, I tried to be as descriptive of the situation as possible. If it helps at all....

Compaq S4000Z
Radeon 9200 AGP card
Athlon XP 2600
1.25 GB ram
Windows XP

As you can probably tell this isn't a powerpc or gaming rig by any means, it gets used by various family members practically all day (why it needed a reformat, and why I want to fix it quickly so they stop hecking me about breaking it)

Whatever help/suggestions you could provide would be helpful, and thanks in advance

Did you wear anti-static gloves or ground yourself when you pulled the cards. How did you remove the dust? Hopefully you didn't wipe the components and mobo with a cloth of some type but blew out the dust with compressed air? Check the seating of the video card in the agp slot. Sounds to me like your video card is the issue. If you used the on-board video gpu, did you enable it in the bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom