Boot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ski4by

Beta member
I am a novice so if I misuse terminology or otherwise make it diffecult to understand my problem I apologize in advance. I am having trouble with a notebook I have had for about five years. It is a Compaq x6000 17", XP. The problem is as follows. When I press the power button the normal lights flash on and the off, "A", "1" and the memory card reader light. The power button light stays on. At that point you can hear the "D" drive engage 8 times followed by a single "BEEP". This process will go on indefinitely untill you hold down the power button and turn it off manually. The screen never comes on and there is no other indication. I have read some forums hear and there and have tried removing the ram and trying one of them at a time as well as trying them in each of the two sockets. No luck with that. From what I've read the single "Beep" could mean "OK". Are there any other steps I could take to diagnose this condition.

I second kmote's thought. Try hooking up an external monitor to see if it is your screen that's not working.

Since it is doing this over and over, it may be blue screening on you (the external monitor will show you in case your screen is dead).

It is also possible that another part has died on you. The cheapest to replace would be the RAM, followed by the hard drive and then the CPU. That's about all that can be replaced on the laptop (outside of the motherboard). I am not advocating that you just start replacing parts willy-nilly. Since HP/Compaq does not publish a list of what the beep codes are for their lappys (that I can find), these would be the order of parts that would have to be tested.

I would start by removing the RAM from the laptop and trying to boot it. If it does the same thing, you have a lead. Replace the RAM and remove the hard drive and try to boot. Between the two of these you should have a better inkling of what might be going on. Post back the results of these two tests, as well as what (if anything) hooking up and external monitor shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom