Boot Problem: Graphics Card Related

Status
Not open for further replies.

rerun

Beta member
I just bought some upgrades for my computer and assembled it. The computer turned on but the monitor reported no signal from the graphics card so I removed everything except the motherboard, cpu, ram, and graphics card. I am now running a Gigabyte GA-8N SLI Pro motherboard, with a P4 Prescott 630 64 Bit w/HT processor, 1 GB (2X512) Corsair XMS2 DDR2 675 Dual Channel ram, and a single XFX G800 GS PCI Extreme graphics card. I attempted to turn the computer on again to the same result. During the trouble shooting process I have found that the only way the monitor gets signal is if A) the computer is resting on its side, or B) I physically press the graphics card tightly into the PCIe slot. When I get home from work today I intend to boot the computer on its side and change the init display in bios to peg 2 and then move the graphics card to the second PCIe slot and try to determine if the problem is in the motherboard or the graphics card. I am not sure if this will work as I seem to recall reading that was intended for SLI use only but it is the only thing I can think of. I hope someone here has an idea on how to test if it is the graphics card that is malfunctioning or if it is the motherboard. One last peice of information: If I do stand the case upright and boot the computer pressing the graphics card tightly, I can let go after a couple of minutes and the computer will run fine until it is shut off again (rebooting works though). If I do not wait long enough before I stop pressing the graphics card though, the computer completely powers down.

Thank you.

motherboard could be shorting against the case somewhere

I knew I was missing something obvious. I'll try that when I get out of work. Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom