Boot issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPlayFPS

Baseband Member
I have a similar problem to this. I run Windows 7 and I tried to upgrade my video card after getting a new power supply in. The power supply worked fine. I used driver sweeper to clean the drivers of my Radeon 4350 before turning it off and inserting the 5770. I had to move what I think is a wifi chip around the PCI slots to fit the card. Now after the bios posts, the screen blacks out and displays either three pixels or 1/6 of the screen in green diagonal lines. I can't seem to get to safe mode either.

You will have to try a Clean Boot. It could be driver related or it could be due to the move of the other item in the PCI Slot.

Then you have to try a Restore Point. Boot using the Win7 DVD. From the sounds of it, something happened when you moved the PCI Card. A Restore Point most likely wont even work and you will have to reinstall.

By the way, I unplugged the optical drive and hard drive one by one to see if that changed anything. Taking out the hard drive gave me another prompt after the post.

I put in the recovery disk with both the optical drive and hard drive and it still gave me the black screen.

Your boot options are not set to Optical Drive first. Change that in your BIOS.

How do I do that?

Edit: Figured it out. This is an HP computer by the way.
Having the hard drive in while pressing F10 put the pixels in the bottom right. Other keys put the lines and dots in other places as well. I had to disconnect the hard drive to access the BIOS. It says this on the Boot menu:
1st Boot Device [CD-ROM Group]
2nd Boot Device [HDD Group]
3rd Boot Device [Floppy Group]
4th Boot Device [Network Boot Group]

Edit2:Fixed by resetting the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom