boot issue - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to benzimm86
Default boot issue

Today someone tripped a circuit and now one of the computers is having issues with booting. When you hit the power button all fans turn on but it does not boot. The sreen only says no signal. The only way i have been able to get it to boot up is to take out the cmos battery and set the jumper to reset the bios, but this does not work everytime. I have changed the ram, video card, hd, unplugged all extra devices and tested the power supply.

It is a pc chips board with an amd k6 processor. I know you say get rid of the old piece of junk but we are on a limited budget at work. Also am pressed for time because this computer is needed back asap.

thermaltake volcano 12
1 gig ddr pc2100
thermaltake purepower 420w psu
dvd-rw
audigy 2 platinum sound card
Old 12-06-2005, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

looks like you are down to the mb. My son tripped a ups at my work and it unfortunatelly fried the board. did just what you did swapped everyting out to no avail. luckily I had a backup with the same board dropped that one in and bingo. gl

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 12-06-2005, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

i think it is your PSU acting up. Same thing happened with my computer. During a storm, the power browned out for like 5 seconds and went dead. Everytime i tried to turn the computer on, the fans and lights would kick on for a split second and would die down to very slow fan speeds, and bleek light levels on the cathodes.....

Check teh psu. all i can say.
EVGA GTX 480
CORSAIR 850-HX
Old 12-07-2005, 09:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to benzimm86

Its not the psu. I used a tester to test it as well as used a new one. I have a feeling the bios is corrupt some how. How found the bios i believe. It is a rom file. I read that i have to boot up with the file to flash the bios. Is this correct. Can i just make a bootable cd with nero and put this file on it. Or is this a bootable image. Do i just burn the image to a cd?
thermaltake volcano 12
1 gig ddr pc2100
thermaltake purepower 420w psu
dvd-rw
audigy 2 platinum sound card
Old 12-07-2005, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

testers can be wrong. those symptoms suggest psu. to flash a bios you need the flashing utility provided by the bios chips manufacturer. you place the utility on a boot disk as well as the rom file. boot to dos and run the flash utility
Closed Thread