Boot failure after CPU fan change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daraz

Beta member
I've had some problems with overheated CPU and PWM so I decided to buy a better CPU cooler (Freezer 64 Pro from AC). I took the old one off and cleaned CPU carefully with cottontop and a papertissiue, then as carefully as possible put the new one on, connected the fan to powersupply and booted up.

What do I get? A annoying long beep and a blank screen.My motherboard uses a POST led display, and it displays 04. However, there's no such POST message registred in the manual or over the internet. I don't have any other mobo to try the cpu out on.

However, the CPU is a Amd 64 Clawhammer 754 on a Asus KV8-MAX3 and from what I can see the CPU is totally undamaged. Same goes for the mobo. If I would've hurt the cpu upon the fan change I'd probably see any physical damage given to it but it's as clean and solid as new.

Anyone have any idea..? (I know most of you think, dude, you broke the cpu when changing fan) But I've changed fans before, and when a cpu is broken, you can see it's broken. THis looks just fine.

Hmm

Well it can only be mounted in 2 ways, and it's the same pressure point whatever way you mount it in. Anyway, you mean I could've damaged the cpu if I would mount it in wrong direction?

Cous like I said, the cpu looks fine, I'd be suprised if it's actually damaged. Then again, everything points in that direction.

if its freid you might not be able to tell, i have had a few cases with people digging around in their cases and fried stuff and it dosent look the part. did you ground yourself first?

some mainboards will not let you boot if the CPU fan sensor is not connected. you might check your new fan to see if the folks that made it put the wires in the terminal block(part that connects to mainboard) correctly. there have been several cases where a fan was not wired correctly to the block, just compare it to the old one. Another thing, check to make sure the CPU is fully seated, no need for high preassure,but it must be down completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom